Boar shooting ground

Centrepin

I have the mobile numbers of both Christian and his wife but neither are answering calls or text.

I'm hearing rumours its closed for good?

My sons friends have been today and everything is locked down, neglected and looks untouched. Towd fella living in cottages below said there done with it.

Anybody know anything or heard owt?

For those that don't know, it's a clay ground and rifle range between Glossop and Sheffield on the moors.

Screenshot_20210403-112525_OS Maps.jpg

Got a text reply from Christian Monday saying looking to open back up in a couple of weeks, but no definitive date. No mention of a permeant closure so fingers crossed. 

Edited by 4eyes
Typo

11 minutes ago, 4eyes said:

Got a text reply from Christian Monday saying looking to open back up in a couple of weeks, but no definitive date. No mention of a permeant closure so fingers crossed. 

At least that's promising. Neither my son or me had any replies.

Thanks for that.👍

I don't if this will be any help but I deliver clays to this club and the "old chap" told me on the last visit that the son runs the shoot and that he had been or remains ill, that was about 2 weeks ago. sounds like all being well it's just a temp closure but depends on the nature and severity of the illness.

55 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

I don't if this will be any help but I deliver clays to this club and the "old chap" told me on the last visit that the son runs the shoot and that he had been or remains ill, that was about 2 weeks ago. sounds like all being well it's just a temp closure but depends on the nature and severity of the illness.

I know Christian was "ill" in 2019 and into early 2020, unfortunately due to covid we lost touch even though his wife and son took over for a while.

Thanks for the reply

14 hours ago, Feltwad said:

Is this the same club that shot on the moor edge it was  also a keen shooting ground for the muzzle loading lads ?

Feltwad

That's the one, also Police approved all calibres.

In the valley you can be T shirt, shorts and flip flops, on the Moor you can be thermals and still cold.

Christian recently spent a fortune on a sim game set up.

You can put the button on delay, press and have up to 8 clays coming at you at once, slight delay then again and again for up to 20 minutes.

It's real good fun when there are 3 or 4 of you to play. You can also pick where you want to stand. You don't need to be in a cage.

Surprisingly under used and not understood. Last time we used it, 3 of us, set for 3. Used it about 2 hours and cost less than 60 each. Rarely do the clays repeat either, so its watch and shoot.

2 hours ago, Feltwad said:

Yes I think it must be the same Boar  Shooting  Ground  but do they still shoot black powder and muzzle loaders , I know that on that ground some years ago they made a video  on shooting black powder .

Feltwad

I'm sure they still do, or will if it reopens. I saw black powder users a couple of years back, mid week when it was quiet.

We go there quite often its a good set up and very relaxed.  We live in North Sheffield so pre Covid we used to go out there and call for a Sunday lunch at the Mustered Pot on the way back.  I heard there  is a clay shoot at Thurgoland, but cant find anything about it, any body heard of it?

6 hours ago, macca2017 said:

We go there quite often its a good set up and very relaxed.  We live in North Sheffield so pre Covid we used to go out there and call for a Sunday lunch at the Mustered Pot on the way back.  I heard there  is a clay shoot at Thurgoland, but cant find anything about it, any body heard of it?

The one at Thurgoland, I think was John Brown's but he sold it on and the next owner kept getting the place broken into so closed. I could be thinking of somewhere else but almost sure it was that.

Thanks for that, probably why I cant find anything about it.  There was one opened up at Tankersley a couple of years ago, similar thing kept getting vandalised, plus complaints from locals and planning issues.  It was a pity because it was only 2mins away from me.

My son just received a text saying The Boar is permanently closed due to a "family bust up" he's only texting those who pay for the gun club.

Although we're not exactly short of clay venues in this area the Boar will be a huge loss. It was cheap, cheerful, available, friendly and above all a fun venue.