Shotgun cleaning

bev6345

10 hours ago, Scully said:

If it’s an older model it may not have chrome lined barrels? 🤷‍♂️
I get a bit of streaking from plastic wads after shooting steel, but can’t say I’ve noticed heavy lead fouling. 

One is 2017, the other 2018, I’m at a loss as well Scully.

14 hours ago, old'un said:

That still does not say why, does the gun shot any better? I clean my barrels with a brush then clean rag, then an oily rag.

if I look up the barrels after the clean rag and see a streak made by the wad or lead I leave it, you can bet your life that after the next outing that streak is in a totally different place, unless you are selling the gun I cannot see the point of spending half an hour trying to get the barrels like a mirror, oily rag is the most important thing.

31 years in the military mate. If it’s been shot once or 200 times it will get a strip and clean. Your argument is 100% correct though, my pal has a 35 year old Miroku that has had some heavy use, he gives it a quick pull through and on each occasion we go out absolutely thrashes me with super-full/super-full chokes.

I always clean my gun barrels well, to remove leading and plastic smear if I'm using plaswads. I always hope that the continued cleaning and burnishing that the shot and wad provides, would eventually smooth the bore sufficiently to reduce smearing.  But it never seems to reach that stage !

On 05/04/2021 at 08:20, Taileron said:

I wish it was that easy to removed the lead streaking from the barrels of my Miroku’s, absolute nightmare of a job that takes at least 10-15 mins each barrel. It’s only present when I shoot fibre wads.

I posted on here a few months back asking if anyone had a quick fix, various suggestion, none worked.

have you tried the bore tech shotgun blend?

I didn't mention it in the video because i find it too strong for every day use, it will get the plastic marks out of the chamber but will also strip the varnish and stain off your cleaning rod.

https://www.shootingsportsuk.co.uk/cleaning-maintenance/solvents-and-cleaner/bore-tech-shotgun-blend/

3 hours ago, bev6345 said:

have you tried the bore tech shotgun blend?

I didn't mention it in the video because i find it too strong for every day use, it will get the plastic marks out of the chamber but will also strip the varnish and stain off your cleaning rod.

https://www.shootingsportsuk.co.uk/cleaning-maintenance/solvents-and-cleaner/bore-tech-shotgun-blend/

Not tried that, thanks for the info. I’m friendly with the lads at shooting sports and it’s just down the road so I will pop over tomorrow and pick some up, cheers.

I always used Hoppe's No.9, but now use M Pro-7.  It's non-stinking, non-staining and safe on oiled woodwork.  It also works amazingly well.  

Squirt a bit down both barrels, leave to soak for ten minutes and push a jag with a bit of twice folded kitchen roll on.   Works 90% of the time even with filthy loads.

I have always found a bore snake works a treat, just spray the part of the snake with the bristles with barrel cleaner and the tail end with gun oil. 

I never need to run it through more than 3 times each barrels and it brings the barrel back to like new. 

20 minutes ago, MacSxS said:

I have always found a bore snake works a treat, just spray the part of the snake with the bristles with barrel cleaner and the tail end with gun oil. 

I never need to run it through more than 3 times each barrels and it brings the barrel back to like new. 

I’m a big fan of the bore snake. Great bits of kit. 👍

I own a Miroku 7000, with polished barrels that are not chrome lined. I clean the bores with a spiral wired steel brush, the one that shows no sharp ends at the threads. This removes any leading and wadding from my gun bores with just a few strokes. Then I put one of those small round cotton cleansing pads (that I nick from my wife’s dressing table) on top of de brush and run this through the bores for a few strokes. After that treatment the bores shine like new and the pads are black from carbon and dirt. Don’t worry about scratching your bores; After about 35 years of use I can honestly tell you that these brushes don’t scratch and most certainly will not do harm to the bores of any shotgun that was produced during your lifetime.