Jump to content

Wildfowling club membership


Recommended Posts

Following the various problems over the last year including lead shot, wildfowling consents, general licences, 300-metre buffer zones around SSSIs, coronavirus etc, it would be interesting to know whether participation is holding up. How are wildfowling club renewals and recruitment going? Are numbers likely to go up or down?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have recently applied for a wild fowling club, the members that I know have been out at every opportunity they’ve had. IF my application is successful I will be following suit and getting out as often as is feasible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Genuine question @Dave at kelton why do you need to meet people in person?, could the interviews not be conducted via FaceTime/ zoom/ WhatsApp video call etc? Or meet outside and conduct interviews maybe. 

As we are in Scotland the committee as a whole cannot meet, even outside. Secondly we have discussed Zoom and it lacks security. You could be speaking to anyone, anywhere, and do not know who else is present. For those reasons we have decided it is the old way of doing things, face to face interview when we can. Genuine Answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

As we are in Scotland the committee as a whole cannot meet, even outside. Secondly we have discussed Zoom and it lacks security. You could be speaking to anyone, anywhere, and do not know who else is present. For those reasons we have decided it is the old way of doing things, face to face interview when we can. Genuine Answer.

Thanks mate, completely understand that and appreciate you taking the time to answer my intrigue. 👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, albifrons said:

Members at 60% which is down and our waiting list exhausted.

 

Will recruit a few between now and September but overall disappointing.


Where are you? 
 

 

I’ve two mates applied for the club I joined last year (GWCA). Both put in very early and both were surprised they didn’t even get a call back in the first round of application. 
 

Shows there are a good number of applicants on the waiting list. 
 

One of them has just made it to the next lot after going through the first lot of invites. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

As we are in Scotland the committee as a whole cannot meet, even outside. Secondly we have discussed Zoom and it lacks security. You could be speaking to anyone, anywhere, and do not know who else is present. For those reasons we have decided it is the old way of doing things, face to face interview when we can. Genuine Answer.

Try this 14 day trial Dave get the AGM and new members sorted then sack it. It's a lot more secure than zoom.

 

Screenshot_20210419-090232_Facebook.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:


Where are you? 
 

 

I’ve two mates applied for the club I joined last year (GWCA). Both put in very early and both were surprised they didn’t even get a call back in the first round of application. 
 

Shows there are a good number of applicants on the waiting list. 
 

One of them has just made it to the next lot after going through the first lot of invites. 

We are west of Swansea in the Burry inlet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As per every year, we have a waiting list, but what I find very frustrating is the number that say yes please, put me on the waiting list and then do not want to join when you contact them, or do not even bother to respond!

I have had people make all sorts of comments ranging from .... thought again about it, found out now thats its not like all the old books anymore, to sorry now found a farm i can shoot pigeons on.

its also some of the joining enquiries from people.... I don't have a shotgun licence yet, i will get one when i join.......   It used to be Wildfowling was seen as the pinnacle of wild quarry shooting , but now often seen as a cheap entry into live quarry shooting.    You could join at least 2 or 3 clubs for the cost of a half gun on a pheasant syndicate or a single day on a commercial pheasant shoot.  I have seen a days pigeon shooting advertised for more than a years fowling!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nic said:

As per every year, we have a waiting list, but what I find very frustrating is the number that say yes please, put me on the waiting list and then do not want to join when you contact them, or do not even bother to respond!

I have had people make all sorts of comments ranging from .... thought again about it, found out now thats its not like all the old books anymore, to sorry now found a farm i can shoot pigeons on.

its also some of the joining enquiries from people.... I don't have a shotgun licence yet, i will get one when i join.......   It used to be Wildfowling was seen as the pinnacle of wild quarry shooting , but now often seen as a cheap entry into live quarry shooting.    You could join at least 2 or 3 clubs for the cost of a half gun on a pheasant syndicate or a single day on a commercial pheasant shoot.  I have seen a days pigeon shooting advertised for more than a years fowling!

At one time the turnaround was around 10% of the membership , now it might be slightly more leaving than new members joining , new and ( old ) members soon find out wildfowling is not an instant bag filler , very soon the novelty wear off when the lovely sun rises are replaced with wet , cold and dreary ones and not a shot have been fired , if these new members are still trying after five years then their is a good chance they are in it for the long haul .

Around our way the big influx of geese have changed what I would call traditional wildfowling like shooting duck and geese on fresh marshes and below the sea wall , I know a good few who don't even bother with duck shooting as they are purely geared up for shooting geese  .

As an instance one bloke I know joined a club about three years ago , the first year he went with his mate who was a long term member and after buying a good number of goose decoys they decoyed geese every Saturday and were rarely going home with a empty bag , the odd night during the week they had a go after duck , with not having a dog between them the bag was empty more times than it was with a duck or two in it .

The next year he more or less gave the duck shooting up and just concentrated on the geese , last year he left the club and just decoyed the bit of land they rented and ended up with over 60 geese .  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found this thread quite interesting, i'm chairman of an angling club, and Covid has actually seen a surprising and welcome increase in membership numbers this seasosn. I've rejoined my closest  wildfowling club this, last season was the first year my dog was ready for the marsh, sadly lockdown last year meant i only got to the marsh once. It will be September before we turn round, i'll be back out soon. 

Cheers

Aled

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/04/2021 at 22:55, Ajarrett said:

Following the various problems over the last year including lead shot, wildfowling consents, general licences, 300-metre buffer zones around SSSIs, coronavirus etc, it would be interesting to know whether participation is holding up. How are wildfowling club renewals and recruitment going? Are numbers likely to go up or down?

How’s it going with your club?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2021 at 22:18, Aled said:

I've found this thread quite interesting, i'm chairman of an angling club, and Covid has actually seen a surprising and welcome increase in membership numbers this seasosn. I've rejoined my closest  wildfowling club this, last season was the first year my dog was ready for the marsh, sadly lockdown last year meant i only got to the marsh once. It will be September before we turn round, i'll be back out soon. 

Cheers

Aled


Its easier to go down the fishing shop and buy a rod than getting a shotgun licence. 
 

Ive taken a few people shooting who then put in licences and many have beeb out on hold during lockdown despite applying ages ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

'How’s it going with your club?'

It started off barmy, which was why I asked.

Full members as of today 400; total members 550. Finished with 788 last year, so a long way to go to beat that. 

I agree with an earlier post, that I think Covid has made people stir-crazy and desperate to get out and do something.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...