Shotgun security

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Who remembers when all you needed was a chain fixed to an O bolt on the wall? is that still legal?

I remember when you didn’t have to have any security measures, the licence didn’t list the guns that you owned or have your photograph on it. But then I am getting on a bit.😂

My grandad kept his either by leaning it against the Yorkshire Range or at the top of the celler steps. Pretty sure he never had a licence either. 

First farm I lived at had a shotgun over the fire place in the living room and a .22 over the fire in the dining room. I have no idea of the licensing back then.

Throughout the sixties our living room had guns and rifles leaning in every corner and alcove. A firearm certificate I think cost five shillings (25p) for a three year grant and a gun licence was ten shillings (50p) from the post office. Shotgun certificates were invented in 1968 but the guns were not listed on them and there was no photograph.

edit: I have had steel cabinets since 1979, after a spate of breaking-ins down our road.

Edited by London Best

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Who remembers when all you needed was a chain fixed to an O bolt on the wall? is that still legal?

I looked the other day at the home office regs about building a gunroom, it didnt mention a chain on the wall but I'm sure it didnt mention a bracket/plate for securing guns.

3 hours ago, Mr.T said:

I remember when you didn’t have to have any security measures, the licence didn’t list the guns that you owned or have your photograph on it. But then I am getting on a bit.😂

Yes. Me also. In fact I can actually remember when you didn't even need an SGC. I was born in 1957 and my father shot, at that time, at Kedleston and Woburn. So remember a time before.

Controls on shotguns were introduced by the Labour Government's Roy Jenkins in to appear to "be doing something" (and deflect attention from the fact that the same Government had suspended the death penalty) after the murder with a pistol of three policemen Fox, Wombwell and Head. 

3 hours ago, Pangolin said:

I looked the other day at the home office regs about building a gunroom, it didnt mention a chain on the wall but I'm sure it didnt mention a bracket/plate for securing guns.

Years ago The chain on the wall was for prisoners and that is why you could leave your shotgun or rimfire by the back door, under the bed, hung above the fire place (o dear am I ranting again) tell me iam wrong 

5 hours ago, Mr.T said:

this 

i kept my guns in my bedroom in the corner.then later on in the garage,in the corner.

in the 60's i could go into most second hand shops they had a rack of shotguns all makes mostly english boxlocks , would buy one , use it  the weekend , if i didn't like it i would take it back and swop it for another with a price adjustment, one was a harry mcrae of ediinburgh  £40 ish .

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

My first shogun licence back in 1973 cost £8 for 3 years. No cabinet required and reason for wanting it was shooting on farmland. No requirement to name the farm/s either.🙂

There is still no requirement to name any land for grant of a shotgun licence.

1975 First licence white post card no id  or permission or any proof at 18 years old kept gun laying around my bedroom as lived at home still. No one bothered to check my mate  used to walk past the police station at 4am with shotgun in bag never ever got a challenge and never had a licence we later found out. First shotgun was A Baikal £26.00 new hurt like hell 

Edited by bottletopbill