You Craftsmen Out There

Jaggsy

Is there such a thing as a 'gun cradle'? As you know there's nothing worse than having zeroed your rifle and its spot on only to hit a succession of potholes and speedbumps on the way home. So i was thinking perhaps a cradle type thing to go in the back of my shogun sport perhaps lined with dense foam to absorb any shocks.

Has anyone got anything like this?

I don't know what sort of rifle you have but ultimately they are a tool to be used in the field. A rifle that lost it's zero easily is no use to anyone and maybe if it's so fragile you maybe need to look again at how it's set up. You only have to consider the kicking it gets when it's used.

I put any of mine in a padded slip and they are put on the back seat no worries. The padding is more to protect the rifle finish than to absorb any shocks. 

Edited by oowee

8 hours ago, Jaggsy said:

Is there such a thing as a 'gun cradle'? As you know there's nothing worse than having zeroed your rifle and its spot on only to hit a succession of potholes and speedbumps on the way home. So i was thinking perhaps a cradle type thing to go in the back of my shogun sport perhaps lined with dense foam to absorb any shocks.

Has anyone got anything like this?

There is a rifle case that will do exactly what you want, in essence the rifle is floating in the case so the scope can never touch it.

I can't for the life of me remember the make or model though :mad:.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

I don't know what sort of rifle you have but ultimately they are a tool to be used in the field. A rifle that lost it's zero easily is no use to anyone and maybe if it's so fragile you maybe need to look again at how it's set up. You only have to consider the kicking it gets when it's used.

I put any of mine in a padded slip and they are put on the back seat no worries. The padding is more to protect the rifle finish than to absorb any shocks. 

This. Think it through. If your scopes zero was so fragile, it wouldn’t survive the recoil of each shot.
My rifles have rattled around in the backs of vehicles ( either in a slip or on my knee ) for years without loss of zero. 

32 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

What scope are you using?  
I will rezero my 3006 for the first time in the 10 years soon as I change to copper ammo it flown around the world and been down many a dirty  track in the car or quad not need adjustment yet. 

You might find your poi is not that far off when you test your copper rounds, my .243 was less than 1/2 inch off which was pleasantly surprising, used 100gr lead and 85gr copper, both Federal.

To the op, if you are losing zero it could be scope as already stated and it could also be mounts. What scope / mount combination are you using?