Kayak wildfowling

Houseplant

As our duck and swan season (yes, you read that right!) is getting closer, I'm quite taken with the idea of hunting large tidal rivers on a kayak. I realise the potential dangers, but have kayak fished for 5 years and am quite familiar with the environment. Anyone done it? Any thoughts?

I've always thought a SOT should make a great shooting platform, but the lack of ability to move around and reposition in the yak might present a few difficulties. What yak have you got? My guess would be something that gives you a very open cockpit would be a good bet - i.e. not with a centre hatch. Something akin the the Viking Reload with the kid pod in

image.png.684222ab552cfb74bbe039c37c7f5667.png

Some kind of adaptation with rear facing rod tubes could work as a gun rack?

Perhaps not in bright yellow though! hardly a subtle colour choice!

i hate to say it...but a pedalo yak would make it easier to get on a quick shot. Unless you're just drifting gun in hand or anchored, having to put the paddle down, pick the gun up and aim might take too long and the shot's gone. 

Edited by chrisjpainter

Cheers Chris. I'm thinking about getting one of these (Old Town Topwater 120). My thoughts are similar to yours. Primary stability is very important, secondary stability less so as I'm not going to be surfing with a shotgun! You can stand up on these things. Could work. I would also use it for trout fishing on lakes and possibly some inshore saltwater fishing, but it won't be my main fishing vessel.

OldTownTopWater120PDL.png?w=500&h=281&q=

Having a good dither. Mrs said go for it, but whatever I spend will come out the family boat fund, so that's a bit tricky! Expensive boats, NZ$4300 and that's if you can track one down (supply issues at the end of the planet). I  fancy floating down miles of uninhabited river duck hunting. Could even beach it or tie up to some reeds, and do the hide/decoy work. Some American YouTubers are in to that sort of thing. 

Ah tricky. Well the Old Town's the perfect choice, I reckon. They have a reputation for stability and that one looks to have a nice square hull, so I reckon you've found the boat, now to find the will to spend the cash! I appreciate the dilemma though; a boat big enough for the family to enjoy is about as close to perfection as it's possible to get on the water. Great family trips out vs some solace on the wetlands. Have fun making that choice...

hello houseplant. have done this for many years in a 14ft two man  canoe with a good friend of mine on the river mersey its a big  river probably nothing on your scale of river. we did not shoot of the canoe just used it for getting to isolated places on club water. it turned out very productive . wish you all the best with your adventures. best regards.

2 hours ago, sitty tree said:

hello houseplant. have done this for many years in a 14ft two man  canoe with a good friend of mine on the river mersey its a big  river probably nothing on your scale of river. we did not shoot of the canoe just used it for getting to isolated places on club water. it turned out very productive . wish you all the best with your adventures. best regards.

Thanks, sounds like fun! 

Hi houseplant the boat looks good.l would ask the locals for advice on the best boat. I also have done a lot of wildfowling on the river Mersey in different boats. It’s a different game when your on the water. Wildfowl doesn’t seem to be frightened by boats even though they can see you, a bit like wildlife and vehicles. I had an old wooden boat l would leave tied to the sea wall and take my outboard when I went out shooting. The old boat survived the Friday the 13th storm of 1984 that blew down the cooling tower of the nearby powder station. I also made a kayak/ flat bottom punt from ply and taped fibreglass joints. I used this in the 80s the gun l used was a (communal) Harrington and Richard’s single 10gauge with a 36inch barrel. I used it as a punt to sneak up on fowl , I didn’t use a motor. I would take a 12gauge as well and beech on the sand/mud banks an get under the flight lines. The duck would just pass over as long as I stayed in the boat, a lot better than hiding in the gutters. The boat you are looking at is far better than the home made ones I used but lm glad I made them. Good luck with your shooting. Ask advice from the local boat club they will be able to help you .

Thanks Gas seal, sounds like you've had some good experiences. What you're saying about wildlife not being scared of boats makes sense. There's an Aussie guy on YouTube who does a lot of pig/boar hunting from a kayak. He gets really close, as in shotgun range during the middle of the day. That would almost be impossible on foot. "Hunting with Stu" if you're interested.

Edited by Houseplant

17 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Thanks Gas seal, sounds like you've had some good experiences. What you're saying about wildlife not being scared of boats makes sense. There's an Aussie guy on YouTube who does a lot of pig/boar hunting from a kayak. He gets really close, as in shotgun range during the middle of the day. That would almost be impossible on foot. "Hunting with Stu" if you're interested.

Just watched a couple of those clips and noticed how those hogs didn't seem to mind the kayaks approach. I've often thought of a little boat to reach those out of the way spots and I think the kayak is just what I'm after. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve never done it but have always been interested in it, especially as my dog isn’t a game bird and I have no room for another.

I’ve always been put off the idea though as doing it on the Severn Estuary seems somewhat suicidal.

This guy makes it look somewhat easy!

12 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

Be aware that some NE consents are for wildfowling "by traditional means" and that clubs might take a dim view of you doing something different. Probably best to check on this before making an investment.

Yep I hear you as in one of the clubs I'm in the consents state no boats to be used but in an other nothing is mentioned and another one I'm in luckily is one of the few left with open Consents 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Houseplant. I watched the hunting with Stu video it was good. He had better weather for his hunting than I had. A couple of bends in our river have large sandstone rocks at the water’s edge one morning I passed teal sat on the rocks in the sun and a fox laying on a large rock, all about 10 to 20yards away from me. Non of them moved and I passed them. I’ve passed teal many times but not with a fox close to them.