Fly fishing season

Ferret664

Jumping in... any of you tie your own flies?  I still have a few bits and pieces lying around including two full rotating fly vices. In addition I shoot a fair few squirrels and such a waste to throw some good tails away.   PM me if your interested and I can list it all for you. Dave up at Kelton has had a large proportion of it already.  Some free, some just the postage and some we can barter(vices).

Had an enquiry on the bits and pieces so put them all together and taken some photos.

The photo of the containers, left to right. The large container is chock full of every fur and hair you can think off, some you would not even recognise.

The photo next to that along is full of body tinsels all different colours.

The next photo along is full of hare fur and similar for body construction and also some latge coils of soft material which is great agin for bodies.

The tin box is full of wings and feathers largely woodcock and partridge but lots of individual winging material as well.

To be fair to all comers I am happy to post one of each . I don't know the postage but can soon find that out.

I have spent some 65years fly dressing and now I don't fish anymore I have no need for flies so all this stuff must go and it would be great if some beginner could make use of it.  

The large box of fur/hair would probably cost over £50 to put together if not more.

PS all of this has been stored with moth killer in the boxes but I still advise anyone taking them to put them in the freezer for a few days which will ensure non have been transferred.

002.JPG

003.JPG

Edited by Walker570

A generous offer indeed, and one I'd be itching to take up if I hadn't got a reciprocal tying / loading arrangement with a buddy.

I'm yet to score with the trout this year, but have had several Pike to the fly.

Looking good for the season though with a 4 day trip to the Northern Lochs of Scotland now booked, and days on several chalkstreams/rivers booked including the Wensum, Itchen, Avon and Wylye. 

Happy times ahead I think 😃

5 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

A generous offer indeed, and one I'd be itching to take up if I hadn't got a reciprocal tying / loading arrangement with a buddy.

I'm yet to score with the trout this year, but have had several Pike to the fly.

Looking good for the season though with a 4 day trip to the Northern Lochs of Scotland now booked, and days on several chalkstreams/rivers booked including the Wensum, Itchen, Avon and Wylye. 

Happy times ahead I think 😃

Hello, I have fished on the Avon and Whyle 👍 , try on the Avon and Nadder in Salisbury, we get a course fishing day ticket in mayfly time, plenty of river to fish for brownies , there's a tackle shop on the industrial estate not far from the Nadder , lovely fishing in may and June, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Fished grafham from the bank Saturday.  All the North shore holding fish . Had over 30 between 5 of us . I had another double hook up one home tied hare ear variants.  Almost all fish falling to hare ears and diawl bachs great day.  Takes were arm wrenching just letting nymphs drift round in the breeze.thats what fly fishing is all about .    

Edited by Ferret664

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Who's running Foremark these days ?   I was a member of the Foremark Fly  Club and fished it almost weekly but reservoir fishing did not reall give me the same enjoyment as fishing dries on a small stream.  It is a very pleasant small water and almost always came up with a few fish.

I agree with the not quite the same as fishing a river. 

It has been take over by new owners, they don’t seem to have a website, only a Facebook page which I cannot see as don’t have Facebook. We fished as PAAS members as we can fish it as part of the membership. The water was very high so limited places where you could cast easily but it’s a pleasant enough little water. I can pike fish it on the fly all year and from October with lures too. Apparently a lure took a 15lb Ferox so that would be a nice catch too. 

After a long week I needed some relaxation, so headed off yesterday morning for some upstream dry fly action. After 6 hours of prospecting likely spots I eventually came across a feeding fish. 2 tries brought rises and refusals, but after waiting to regain my composure a 3rd fly (small f) brought the gulp and my 1st wild brownie of the season (and an almighty rollicking for being late home!).

Fished Llyn Brenig yesterday 26 April with my son it was opened after lockdown fished for two hours with out a tug then it went crazy I lost nice fish then got in to three more one after the other shuck the hook my son said have you checked that hook he was right the first one had straightened it out I was kicking myself.

Changed fly and was rewarded with some nice fish we both bagged up then we was on catch and release that I am not very keen on after returning about a dozen fish I sat on the side and let the lad carry on he didn’t mind as he is into carp fishing but after a bit he packed up two very pleased anglers going home.

On 26/04/2021 at 04:16, NoBodyImportant said:

I bought a fly rod a while back.  After spending a day cutting tangles out of my line I decided that it’s not for me. 😂  

I got all the gear, paid for one to one lessons. Even joined a club. Hooked my cap, shirt, grass behind me, far bank, air knots. Just couldn't get it and sold the lot.