Securing permission

Pigeon addict

Hi,

I’m aware this topic has been discussed many times before but I’m still struggling to secure new ground. My permissions to date have been through farming contacts; however, I’ve been after new farms in the hopes that I might have pigeon shooting accessible throughout the year on a variety of crops. 

ive done my recon and have no trouble finding fields with pigeons on, I then inform the farmer of a pigeon problem on his field but every answer I get is the same (“we already have someone who shoots the pigeons”). I’ve asked numerous farmers but have had no luck so far. It seems as if every square inch of arable land is fiercely guarded by the pigeon shooter. I’m not sure I’d be wrong in saying it’s “dead man’s shoes”! I just feel as if I’m running out of options in my area; we don’t have a huge amount of arable that needs protecting from pigeons. Perhaps I need to look in other counties.....

If anyone can give me some advice on how they have successfully secured pigeon shooting ground, that would be hugely appreciated? Thanks in advance.

I know of people who happily pay to shoot pigeons, just like they pay to shoot pheasants, go wildfowling or stalking. The world is changing

these are the same people who pay to have their car washed or for somebody to walk their dog 

Edited by Vince Green

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I know of people who happily pay to shoot pigeons, just like they pay to shoot pheasants, go wildfowling or stalking. The world is changing

these are the same people who pay to have their car washed or for somebody to walk their dog 

You’re so right. It’s definitely changed the game for the worse. I think the idea of crop protection and respect for the woodie is lost through guided pigeon shooting. 

2 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

maybe your location would help.

Dorset

40 minutes ago, eggy74 said:

offer the farmer a card anyway and say you are available for one off invitations when drilling or the regular guy cant make it or even to be at the other end of the land to keep the pigeons moving. 

Good idea! I will look at getting some cards printed. Only thing is the regular always brings his mate no doubt to sit at the other end of the farm.

12 hours ago, Pigeon addict said:

I’m aware this topic has been discussed many times before but I’m still struggling to secure new ground. My permissions to date have been through farming contacts; however, I’ve been after new farms in the hopes that I might have pigeon shooting accessible throughout the year on a variety of crops. 
ive done my recon and have no trouble finding fields with pigeons on, I then inform the farmer of a pigeon problem on his field but every answer I get is the same (“we already have someone who shoots the pigeons”). I’ve asked numerous farmers but have had no luck so far. It seems as if every square inch of arable land is fiercely guarded by the pigeon shooter. I’m not sure I’d be wrong in saying it’s “dead man’s shoes”! I just feel as if I’m running out of options in my area; we don’t have a huge amount of arable that needs protecting from pigeons. Perhaps I need to look in other counties.....If anyone can give me some advice on how they have successfully secured pigeon shooting ground, that would be hugely appreciated? Thanks in advance.

Please remember that the Farmer is being honourable and telling you he already has someone.

Hopefully you may find somewhere, but attempting to get an established shooter to step aside for you is not the way.

Persistence is the key and you say you have had permissions, how did you lose those, or are you just after more ground?

11 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Please remember that the Farmer is being honourable and telling you he already has someone.

Hopefully you may find somewhere, but attempting to get an established shooter to step aside for you is not the way.

Persistence is the key and you say you have had permissions, how did you lose those, or are you just after more ground?

I agree. As I said my current permissions are through farming contacts that I have and yes I still have them. I’m after new ground to give me the chance to shoot pigeons year round. At the moment my permissions are mixed farms that grow wholecrop winter cereals and grass.

10 hours ago, London Best said:

More likely the third this week!

Door knocking folk wanting shooting irritate all my farming friends.

You’re probably right!

if your farming friends are irritated by door knocking; how do they suggest us shooting folk go about asking for permission? I only ask when I see a pigeon problem so it’s not like I ask for the sake of it. 

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

modern farmers are not like the old boys many think crop loss is no big deal but what they don’t know is if you have a pigeon shooter everyone can see your the smartest farmer in the village but if all you have is fat pigeons they can also see your a fool 

Damn right. I spoke to a young farmer about hundreds of pigeons on his spring drill. The funny thing was the farm yard was next to this field and he was completely nonchalant about the issue. 

31 minutes ago, Pigeon addict said:

Damn right. I spoke to a young farmer about hundreds of pigeons on his spring drill. The funny thing was the farm yard was next to this field and he was completely nonchalant about the issue. 

i look at it this way when shooting i’m pushing them onto the farms that say no if they wish to pay for the pigeons food bill fine by me 

When I used to look for permissions I would bypass the farmer and seek out the farm manager who is normally that much more approachable , you can have a yarn with him and just ask permission to keep pigeons off that one field , if you do a good job then other fields on the farm will come your way .

On the larger estates I would find out who the head keeper is , he would be the one you would have to get the go ahead from even if the farm manager think it would be alright , if you live near the estate you can offer your services to the keeper by giving him a hand when and if required , this might be helping to put up a rearing / release pen , or putting your name down if required on a shoot day , even if you went straight to the estate owner he would go down to the estate manager who would then put you in touch with the head keeper who is in charge of most if not all of the vermin control .

On 07/04/2021 at 22:08, Pigeon addict said:

Or perhaps he is well aware that pigeons feeding on seeds on the top are not causing any damage.

8 hours ago, old'un said:

Or perhaps he is well aware that pigeons feeding on seeds on the top are not causing any damage.

my secret bird loving farmer says that one they have now crossed the rd from the drill to his rape as i told him that would happen they are welcome to eat it 

18 minutes ago, clangerman said:

my secret bird loving farmer says that one they have now crossed the rd from the drill to his rape as i told him that would happen they are welcome to eat it 

Well it kept them off his rape for a few days….I had a farmer tell me not to shoot pigeons on the corn stubbles whilst he still had standing corn.

I'm in the same boat pal. 

My area seems very well secured and syndicated. 

I have not given up yet though. I'm looking into joining the nppc if you want to look at that option. 

I'm also joining my local wildfowling club this coming season. The wildfowlers seem to be alot more willing to share knowledge and secrets from what I gather so far in my dealings with them. 

On 12/04/2021 at 21:13, TVPC said:

I'm in the same boat pal. 

My area seems very well secured and syndicated. 

I have not given up yet though. I'm looking into joining the nppc if you want to look at that option. 

I'm also joining my local wildfowling club this coming season. The wildfowlers seem to be alot more willing to share knowledge and secrets from what I gather so far in my dealings with them. 

Is it newcastle wildfowlers you are joining