Fwb 22 sport rifle

Louisnagiel

Hi. 
just wondering if anyone could give me some advise. I’ve got an old fwb 22 sport air rifle. The rifle has been very well maintained but hasent been fired on about 10 years. It’s cocks lovely and all sounds perfect. But it won’t fire the pellet through the barrel. The barrel is spotless. Thanks in advance 😊

D4EDAFC2-5766-45AF-A954-E23418501F55.jpeg

OK, make 100% sure that there is nothing in the barrel....cock the gun and put your finger/thumb over the muzzle, fire the gun then releasae your finger within a second or 2.....can you hear a puff of air? I'm guessing not, I would imagine that the washer has broken up/rotted, think they are plastic/PTFE on these. Do not keep firing it without anything in the barrel as the piston may get damaged. This is an easy repair but be careful, these guns are getting quite rare now and deserve treating with care and respect.If you are not competant with mechanical tasks get a gunsmith to do the job, notice yours still has the open sights as well, niiiiiiiiiice.LOOK AFTER HER (or sell her to me).

Edited by bruno22rf

Ah brilliant mate. I had a feeling it was something to do with the seals I will take it to a gunsmith when I have a chance. Thank you 😊 it’s a gorgeous air rifle haven’t had it long. I couldn’t part with it before I’ve had a chance to fire it but love the compliment. Thank you for your help. I don’t know if the scope is original I will attach a picture 👍

422A798B-ED5C-45AE-9A22-7EF1478CB430.jpeg

It's a common problem with the FWB Sports. The piston seal material decays and crumbles to cheese like consistency. It will need a strip down and the piston debris will need to be thoroughly cleaned from the cylinder and piston and a new seal fitted. Seals are still available from spares stockists such as Chambers or John Knibbs. The Sports do require a bit of care to disassemble without losing parts and potentially injuring yourself into the bargain, so as suggested previously, if you're not comfortable stripping down air rifles, leave it to someone else.

4 minutes ago, Louisnagiel said:

Thanks capital bee. I am definitely going to take it to a gun smith. Currently looking at gun smiths in my area now 😊 do you know roughly how much it would cost to fix ? Thank you

Hello, strip and clean with new piston washer I'd say £60

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Where in uk are you ?

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Where in uk are you ?

I would think the scope is of the same year or there about,

O brilliant £60 isn’t going to brake the bank or around that. Yea I do think the scope was purchased at the same time.  I’m didcot I have spoke to a old boy called frank wyman about 10mins Thank you so much for your help everyone. Much appreciated 👍🏻

Edited by Louisnagiel
Left info out

About 40 years ago i had a HW35  that i thought was a pretty good gun, one of my mates had the FWB  in .22 that gun left mine standing it was so much better than my gun, i remember clover leafing 3 shots on a leaf at the top of a tree when trying it out .Its a cracking gun you have there.

Thank you everyone 😀 love hearing the comments. It will be a much loved and looked after air rifle. It was my grandads who sadly passed a few years back, shot all his life. I think duck shooting was his favourite. I can’t wait to get it sorted and get some permission on someones land for some rabbits. Thanks everyone much appreciated 👍🏻

• 1 month later...
On 07/04/2021 at 14:08, Louisnagiel said:

Ah brilliant mate. I had a feeling it was something to do with the seals I will take it to a gunsmith when I have a chance. Thank you 😊 it’s a gorgeous air rifle haven’t had it long. I couldn’t part with it before I’ve had a chance to fire it but love the compliment. Thank you for your help. I don’t know if the scope is original I will attach a picture 👍

422A798B-ED5C-45AE-9A22-7EF1478CB430.jpeg

Is it for sale m8