Deliveroo

lampro

Quick question, as a self employed floor layer my van is under business insurance as I carry goods for other companies, watching on TV these drivers for just eat deliveroo ect, how many have legit insurance for there cars whilst delivering food items, also how many of us have had parcels delivered over lock down with someone in there own car 

I work for a large courier company in central London and we have over 150 self employed couriers that deliver for us all of them are have to have courier insurance to work . with our computer system as soon as there insurance or mot runs out they are automatically blocked for doing any work to be honest our fleet department do a great job they keep on top of it well .  Not all companies are as stringent as ours  we charge customers a bit more than they would like to pay but in return the riders / drivers get paid well and make a living  .As always You get what you pay for     If you pay people peanuts you can’t expect everything to be legal 

Hello, deliveroo make millions of £s and pay people less than the national minimum wage, and some work 12 hours a day just to make a living, I realy don't understand why these food outlets need deliveroo just employ extra staff, once lockdown is finished people should be going to pubs, restaurants, take away themselves, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

One of the supply drivers was accused of clipping a delivery drivers wing mirror dropping stuff off at a ressie on campus , There wasn't a mark on the mirror and the driver said you got to come down  to the logistics building and we will swap over details , He swore and drove off later phoning in to swear again  reckon he was just a chancer without the correct insurance to be delivering but what he didn't know is once your on campus there's 4 cameras at any one time watching you LOL 

48 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, deliveroo make millions of £s and pay people less than the national minimum wage, and some work 12 hours a day just to make a living, I realy don't understand why these food outlets need deliveroo just employ extra staff, once lockdown is finished people should be going to pubs, restaurants, take away themselves, 

I disagree OPP, the culture has changed. People just expect now to just pick up their phone and get food delivered.

Just Eat, Deliveroo and Uber Eats have created a market where there wasn't one before. While they have an army of cheap labour who are prepared to work for them they will continue.

Quite why people are willing to deliver food for the sort of money they pay I'm not sure. I suspect it has a lot to do with rubber dinghies and the English Channel

Police actually are pretty hot on it. Deliveroo, similar and any other "casual" food delivery drivers as well, indeed, as home care staff that go from house to house delivering home care. I used also to work for an insurance brokerage for about six months in 2019 or so. It was pay for Class 1 Business Use or you were not covered.

22 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Well considering they are all currently on strike over pay and conditions they can’t be that well looked after.

I don’t work for delivery lloyd90   I work for a proper courier company I know deliveroo riders are going on strike and most couriers would like to join a union and get workers rights etc but to be honest do they ? There are not many of them that want to work full time it is surprising when you talk to a lot of them tell them all the benefits of bieng Paye with holiday pay pension plan etc the first thing they ask is how much tax do I have to pay and second is well what happens when I don’t want to come to work and you tell them the tax rate is 20% etc and you will be sacked if you just come and go as you please people in the office work regular hours and if you are paye you would have to do the same most want to stay self employed