Value of old, hand poured glass?

sandspider

Hi all

We have old, single glazed windows and would like to replace with double glazed. One double glazing installer looked at our old windows (100 plus years old, hand poured (?) glass with imperfections and odd wibbly bits, and said that the old glass was worth quite a bit of money - he didn't offer to buy it, however!

Is there actually value in ancient glass? If so, we can try and save it and maybe sell it - better than just chucking it anyway. Though i guess it would be hard to pack and post...

Thanks.

58 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Is there actually value in ancient glass?

It is used by antique restorers to replace cracked panes in things like glazed cupboard doors etc.  Most older furniture uses very thin glass.

59 minutes ago, sandspider said:

If so, we can try and save it and maybe sell it - better than just chucking it anyway.

My guess is that the value is minimal - but that is a guess.  I have never seen any sold.

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Though I guess it would be hard to pack and post...

I think this will be the problem

9 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Which is alarmingly pricey

It is - and (perhaps surprisingly in view of all the hype) of limited potential for cutting heat/energy losses (i.e. it will take a long time to recover the costs from saved energy costs). 

It depends on what the original windows are/were, but a good wooden framed single glazed window, with a thick curtain and/or roller blind is not all that bad at heat loss.  What are bad are badly fitting draughty windows and metal framed Critall type windows (where the frame is very cold).  Radiators under windows and behind curtains are a big contributor to window heat loss - and it is surprising how often one sees that.

However - the reduction in condensation, noise, draughts can be very welcome - if not exactly cost effective.

9 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Thanks, but the windows need to be replaced anyway, they are draughty, ancient and starting to fall apart. We already have curtains, blinds, plastic sheets and even masking tape in place! Reduction in condensation and noise would be an advantage, yes.

I had exactly the same problem - had mine done (horrendously expensive in a listed building) and am very pleased with mine (double glazed in wooden sashes) - and the reduction in condensation is by far the biggest bonus.  It was the condensation that was so damaging to the old windows.  Probably wasn't an issue with open fires in most rooms, but in modern centrally heated life - condensation was a big problem.

Out of interest, can I ask who installed your windows? You're not too far from me. (Our house isn't listed, but is quite pretty old stone, so I don't want to stick obviously plastic, lipped double glazed units in - but the nicer flush windows seem to be double the cost!)

Yes, condensation is a killer, a couple of our window frames are rotting on the inside (I can poke a finger into them!) but fairly sound on the outside. Doesn't help that we live in a damp, cold Welsh valley.