Moleskin trousers

billytheghillie

I wear John Norris ones.  I don't think the latest ones are as good as the older ones.  I also found I needed a size larger than most other trousers.  Good service always from JN and buy when they are on sale.  JN brand are £25 a pair or they sell Hoggs for £44.

Edited by JohnfromUK

8 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Did look at Hoggs and have bought some caps and hats from them,  need to have a look at there web site now. Thanks.

Whats the difference between moleskin trousers and moleskin jeans?

The jeans fasten with a stud just like jeans, and have two back pockets, the trousers fasten with a flap and button, and have a slit back pocket with a button. 

I can't recommend the John Norris ones at all.  They're made of cheap fuzzy-felt, but more importantly as soon as you squat down or swing a leg over a gate be prepared for a chilly experience around your nether regions!  Crotch torn in a catastrophic manner.  They sent me a replacement after the first incident but guess what happened pretty much straight away?

265027024_JNorrisMoleskins.jpg.8afd880e7942cd6af6eca02e5088b333.jpg

I thought I'd have some fun with my complaints procedure - it's worth sharing the email just for laughs!!

Good evening,

Firstly, please accept my apologies for the considerable delay in sending this email to you.  I have been undergoing an intensive course of reconstructive surgery for the last few months and, until now, have been unable to sit down long enough to use a computer.

I bought a pair of your moleskin trousers back in December (please see your email confirmation of the order below).  The trousers were actually a Christmas present to me, from my partner, so they were duly wrapped up and gifted to me on the appropriate date.

The first (and only) time I wore them was on a game shooting day in January.  That morning, as I walked out to the first drive of the day, I swung my leg over a gate only to be stunned into silence by  what was, quite frankly, a terrifying sound.

Normally, the sound of cloth tearing would raise an eyebrow at most – possibly even generating a concerned look.  However, outdoors on a particularly bitter day in January with a Siberian weather front sweeping across the countryside, it got EVERYONE’S attention.

The silence lasted as long as it took for my shooting companions to realise the true horror – and hilarity, to them - of my impending predicament. What followed was an eruption of laughter of a magnitude only before equalled by Mount Vesuvius spewing its guts out all over Pompeii.

Yes.  As you’ll see from the attached images, my brand new moleskins had ripped, from the flies right round to somewhere above my ********, with just a bit of stitching forming an unholy alliance under my gusset.

My South Pole was no longer protected from the cold, biting, easterly wind and my gentlemanly particulars had now been laid bare – almost literally, save for a dangerously thin layer of cotton underpants - to the cruel elements of a British winter’s day. And oh how the wind blew….

I may as well have thrown the trousers away and worn the shredded remains of the paper they were wrapped in.  At least the Sellotape would have afforded some protection from the elements, if strategically placed.  It was at this point I started wishing I’d kept the gift tag to use as a wind-break.

As the day went on, so the wind blew, and inevitably the cold began creeping in.  At the risk of being too graphic, by the time our shoot party retired to the local hostelry for food and beer my penis was the size of a grain of rice and my testicles resembled two brussels sprouts that had rolled off someone’s plate on Christmas day and been found behind the sofa on New Year’s Eve.

It’s not all bad news though: After having my first child several years ago and suffering the traumatic experience of parenting something I can only describe as “The Spawn of Satan”, I’ve been quite keen to have a vasectomy to remove the likelihood of ever having to endure this torture again.  However I’m fairly sure that with the help of your defective trousers my gonads have been put through the same process first patented by Birds Eye (quick frozen within 2 hours) and therefore rendered inoperable.  Every cloud…

So, in short, any chance of sending me a replacement pair just to make sure?

Warmest regards,

Jim Neal

Edited by Jim Neal

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

I buy Hoggs, they are excellent, but they ain’t cheap. The cheapest I’ve ever had were Buffalo River, which literally fell apart within months, stitching unravelled, pockets went through. Hopeless. 

Have had my Hogg's pair for 6 years. Still as good as the day I bought them, although a little tighter now haha

I too now have some Hogg's moleskins.  They are pretty decent quality I think.  Only the short leg option in stock when I got them from a local country store but thought never mind I'll be wearing wellies anyway.  Only thing I will say is they come up a touch small on the waist.  I've been in a 36 waist for quite some years, I know I've maybe put on a little lockdown lard but these are the tightest trousers in my wardrobe!  Go a size bigger is my advice.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Cudworth of Norden Supermoles absolutely knock spots off Hoggs.

BUT, they are £75/pair, and I believe they are in the process of discontinuing them. Cudworth’s also offer a cheaper model but I have no experience of these.

Now all sizes on offer at £50. Got to be a bargain.

6 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Looked at Hoggs - trousers not listed.

Looked at Cudworth - no leg length options.

Unfinished Leg length at 35" (Straight leg so easy to take up to your exact Inside Leg measurement.

https://www.cudworthofnorden.com/product-page/gents-moleskin-trousers-quality-moleskin-trousers-101c