Last minute change of plan pays dividend, YES !!!

lakeside1000

The farm manager has me on standby to get on the newly drilled peas as soon as they are in, so as expected yesterday morning I get the call to have a look at 200 acres just drilled.

I loaded the car, filled the flask and set off, arriving at the drillings it was very quiet, the farm hands were on site setting up some irrigation, so birds were keeping well clear.

After a short time I realised it was a non starter, so change of plan I headed down to another perm of several hundred acres of rape, I had not been on this area for a couple of weeks since it was top dressed , but It looks like the extreme cold weather has stopped its growth, so still very sparse and huge brown areas.

I set up near the fence line where I had put up around 50 to 60 birds, they moved off into some nearby trees and settled there. I laid out 15 dead birds on cradles and spikes, added 2 flappers and got into the hide, 

Within seconds they started coming back, heading straight into the pattern without any hesitation, my first attempts failed miserably , 3 shots at the first only to watch it fly away, similar results for the next 3 birds, all this within 2 or 3 minutes, I sat back, poured a coffee and gave myself a telling off, I have a real problem with a lazy gun mount, dropping the stock onto my shoulder way too low, resulting in shooting high , over the bird , I know I'm doing it but seem to have a mental block once the bird is in front of me, 

The next bird was a very high passer from in front over my left shoulder, I pillow cased it with a perfect hit , at last I'm on the score board, from then on I settled in to some reasonable shooting, still plenty of missed birds but dropping slightly more than I missed, several doubles and even a two bird kill with one shot.

Shooting from around 1.30 they were coming in thick and fast for a couple of hours and the pile was mounting, another double on a rook and jackdaw added some variety, it went quiet around 4.00 so time for a sandwich and another coffee. by 4.30 it was so quiet and I had almost decided to pack up when another small group dive bombed into the pattern and a textbook double dropped, if they were still coming I would stick it out a bit longer.

Over the next 2 hours I was kept busy with singles and doubles coming in with an almost suicidal intent to get in on the feed, I had 2 birds way out towards the other side of the field  so decided at 6.30 to pack up and do some long distance collecting, fortunately the field is surrounded by a green lane so I was able to drive around, I had made sure I spotted the drop point on both and found them with ease, returning to the hide I was loading the gear into the car but had left the decoys until last, over my shoulder I spotted another bird circling over the decoys, grabbing the gun I took the shot and **** law it refused to drop , using the wind to get 150 yards before falling dead right in the middle of the field, so a long walk needed to pick it up, 

I don't normally bother with photos but its been so long since I had a decent day I had to get a few on the phone to remind myself I can still do it. Final score was 52 picked 3 lost in the brambles and reed beds, plus the rook picked and the jackdaw again lost .By no means my best ever but in the last 6 months my best day has been just 17, so definitely an improvement there.   

shoot 1.jpg

shoot 2.jpg

Well done on shooting a few, :good:this area as been a bit sparse over winter as there's been little to hold them, but as if by magic they started to show on the drilling's in big numbers throughout March and into April.

Been shooting one block of beans for two weeks now and the numbers still coming to the fields are unbelievable, think the dry weather as helped.

That rape does not look very healthy, the ground looks the same as here, bone dry.

3 hours ago, old'un said:

Well done on shooting a few, :good:this area as been a bit sparse over winter as there's been little to hold them, but as if by magic they started to show on the drilling's in big numbers throughout March and into April.

Been shooting one block of beans for two weeks now and the numbers still coming to the fields are unbelievable, think the dry weather as helped.

That rape does not look very healthy, the ground looks the same as here, bone dry.

That may be a few to you, but to some of us that is an excellent bag these days.

Well done Lakeside and thanks for posting.

OB

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

That may be a few to you, but to some of us that is an excellent bag these days.

Well done Lakeside and thanks for posting.

OB

Yep, if I kill 50 now I have had a good day, don't look for the big bags any more, getting to old.