Prince Philip

nobbyathome

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Despite the odd gaffe, which some seemed to seize upon with relish, he was a class act. Not perfect, but better because of that.

R.I.P.

It was the so called 'gaffes' that made the man. As said by Dunks, he did not suffer fools and there will be many detractors who do not know that he fought in the last war and had more guts than many snowflakes today. Shame he didn't make the ton and I suggested to my wife they should defer saying he waas definitely dead until June then say he made it. NOW, that would certainly tickle his sense of humour.   My condolences to our Queen.

13 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

why is he not a king?

It works in strange ways - a King's wife becomes Queen, but not the other way round.  Queen Victoria's husband was Prince Albert, not King Albert.

14 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Monarchs are typically buried in Abbies right?  Or is there a specific cemetery.  I think Diana was buried on a island at her parents home.

Not since 1760 when George II was the last Monarch to be buried in Westminster Abbey.  I think within reason they can be buried where they wish, but since 1760, it =has been in or around Windsor.  In recent times, George V (the Queen's grandfather), George VI (the Queen's father) are buried at Windsor (St George's Chapel), and Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are at the Mausoleum in Frogmore (inside Windsor Great Park) and there is a Royal Burial Ground there where many lesser 'cousins etc'. are buried.

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It works in strange ways - a King's wife becomes Queen, but not the other way round.  Queen Victoria's husband was Prince Albert, not King Albert.

Not since 1760 when George II was the last Monarch to be buried in Westminster Abbey.  I think within reason they can be buried where they wish, but since 1760, it =has been in or around Windsor.  In recent times, George V (the Queen's grandfather), George VI (the Queen's father) are buried at Windsor (St George's Chapel), and Queen Victoria and Prince Albert are at the Mausoleum in Frogmore (inside Windsor Great Park) and there is a Royal Burial Ground there where many lesser 'cousins etc'. are buried.

Interesting, so does or did he have any authority?  Or is it a ceremonial role?  

Just now, NoBodyImportant said:

did he have any authority?

No, not formally, but he had lots of honorary positions on charities etc., notably his own Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme - which encouraged the young to achieve things, particularly outdoor activities.  He also of course had the 'ear of the Queen'.  People did not ignore what he said. 

It was his position to be completely non-political (as is the Queen and all other Royals) though he had the knack of being fairly clear on where he stood on non political issues He was a keen supporter of various things, wildlife conservation, field sports, conservation sensitive farming etc.  He was a noted good shot with a shotgun and ran shoots at the Royal Estates at Balmoral (Scotland), Sandringham and Windsor.

Met him twice in the 1990’s, stood to attention in my best white overalls. I working on VAREF at RAF Lyneham (visiting aircraft and role equipment flight). On both occasions he was a lovely bloke who told us to “get on the jet and eat the leftover food before the aircrew get their mitts on it” 

A man who absolutely personified the term service before self.

RIP.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

prince phillip will be buried at windsor castle and the queen when she goes will be buried in westminster abbey

1 minute ago, nobbyathome said:

prince phillip will be buried at windsor castle and the queen when she goes will be buried in westminster abbey

I imagine the Queen will be buried at Windsor as well.  All Monarchs since 1760 have been at buried Windsor.

Just now, nobbyathome said:

she may be but i have been told her wish was for both to be in the abbey but he refused saying he was not worthy it should only be for monarchs plans have been made for quite a few years now but they could change 

That I don't know, all her immediate ancestors (father, grandfather, great grandfather and further back) are at Windsor.  You may be thinking of the funeral rather than the burial?  prince Philips funeral is to be at Windsor, but a Monarch's funeral would be expected to be at Westminster or possibly St Paul's (which is larger).