Prince Philip

nobbyathome

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

No, not formally, but he had lots of honorary positions on charities etc., notably his own Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme - which encouraged the young to achieve things, particularly outdoor activities.  He also of course had the 'ear of the Queen'.  People did not ignore what he said. 

It was his position to be completely non-political (as is the Queen and all other Royals) though he had the knack of being fairly clear on where he stood on non political issues He was a keen supporter of various things, wildlife conservation, field sports, conservation sensitive farming etc.  He was a noted good shot with a shotgun and ran shoots at the Royal Estates at Balmoral (Scotland), Sandringham and Windsor.

Thanks.  

6 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

It works in strange ways - a King's wife becomes Queen, but not the other way round.  Queen Victoria's husband was Prince Albert, not King Albert.

It's pleasing to hear that political correctness hasn't seeped in to every aspect of life.

a true country man lost      RIP                he had a spirit i loved and  wish the youngers had  Charles    William   to push  to drive change and home grown produce   game foods etc                          harry stay in the usa    your ****  caused problems     how can the Merkle spin doctors spin a victim out of this one          go forth and multiply with rapid jerking movements    in the knowledge your      grandad      was a gentleman who supported the Queen    and im southern irish       he was a true gent     RIP 

19 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Long story. I was a young silly sailor. The Duke did not suffer fools!

I think that’s what made him appealing.  He was stubborn and a spades a spade. A huge advocate of country sports. But his views where not always politically correct. RIP 

it truly amazes me ....seeing this nationwide gun salute and all the history and tradition and respect going with it...........how Prince Harry Windsor and his wife....have effectively chucked it down the toilet pan...to become Los Angels luvies..........

they could have done far more sticking with it than cutting and running.........i have no respect for them what -so-ever

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

it truly amazes me ....seeing this nationwide gun salute and all the history and tradition and respect going with it...........how Prince Harry Windsor and his wife....have effectively chucked it down the toilet pan...to become Los Angels luvies..........

they could have done far more sticking with it than cutting and running.........i have no respect for them what -so-ever

I agree, that amount of wealth and privilege comes at the price of public service. Harry was born in to it and should have followed his grandfather's example. Meghan had a choice and should never married in to that family if that's not what she wanted.