Hello from South Wales

Poor Shot

Good evening PW.

Glad to have joined the forum and look forward to learning from the more knowledgeable of the membership.

My shooting background is somewhat limited. I was wildly into the sport when I was a youngster, had a few air rifles, a few ferrets and mooched the odd days ferreting from friends and family when I could. I wasn't born into a 'fieldsports family' so I never had the chance to keep anything more powerful than an air rifle and opportunities to get out on real permission with actual quarry to shoot were few and far between.

I turned 17-18 and found beer and boobs and lost interest.

Now I'm 28, have grown up and have enough disposable income to spend (waste according to the girlfriend) on fieldsports again.

I put in for my SGC nearly a year ago but still waiting on SWP and their COVID restrictions (excuses) preventing them from carrying out a home visit. Hopefully the lifted restrictions will give them the kick in the *** they need to get a shift on. 

In the meantime I've taken up clay pigeon shooting and attend a local club most weekends. I'm not doing too badly considering I've not handled a shotgun since my early teens. It's a good opportunity to learn about safe gun handling and safety. No need to add that clay shooting is also brilliant and I love it! 

We also brought home a young springer pup a few weeks ago. Hopefully with a lot of effort and learning, on both mine and the dogs part, she'll make a brilliant first gun dog.

What I'm looking to get out of the forum is the basics of keeping a shotgun. Everything from cleaning and storing the thing to being able to determine safe shots, appropriate distances etc. I found the forum when looking at where and how to site a shotgun cabinet so it's proved useful so far.

When I can I also want to add a post to the shooting opportunities wanted forum asking very politely if someone local would be kind enough to take me out for a few days and show me the ropes. Pass on some knowledge to the new generation kind of thing.

Also, I'm based in South Wales not too far from Merthyr.

Look forward to joining in!

Regards

Richard.

When you say not far from Merthyr, how far is not far? Your best approach is probably to make your entry to the sport via clays. Join a club and get to know a few people 

shooting opportunities are few and far between unless you know the right people

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

When you say not far from Merthyr, how far is not far? Your best approach is probably to make your entry to the sport via clays. Join a club and get to know a few people 

shooting opportunities are few and far between unless you know the right people

Hi Vince.

Based in Mountain Ash. A few minutes over the hill..

You've got that right! Shooting opportunities are indeed hard to come by. I've been invited out on a day as a guest to sindicate shoot in the next season which is a start. Hopefully I'll be able to put my name down for some beating on some local shoots this year. I did get chatting with older gent at a local clay shoot before the last lockdown who was willing to introduce me to a few contacts of his as he looked to 'retire' in the coming seasons.

I'd quite like to join a shooting syndicate this year but they are proving hard to find. I don't know whether it's COVID reducing the number of active shoots or reluctance to accept a newbie into the group.

7 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

Hi Vince.

Based in Mountain Ash. A few minutes over the hill..

You've got that right! Shooting opportunities are indeed hard to come by. I've been invited out on a day as a guest to sindicate shoot in the next season which is a start. Hopefully I'll be able to put my name down for some beating on some local shoots this year. I did get chatting with older gent at a local clay shoot before the last lockdown who was willing to introduce me to a few contacts of his as he looked to 'retire' in the coming seasons.

I'd quite like to join a shooting syndicate this year but they are proving hard to find. I don't know whether it's COVID reducing the number of active shoots or reluctance to accept a newbie into the group.

Yes I know Mountain Ash pretty well, I used to have a house in Abercynon. There are a lot of good farms round there but as you say, you are an outsider in their eyes.

concentrate on getting known. As a newbie you would be like lamb to the slaughter at a driven day if you don't know the etiquette. Watch and learn. go beating, shoot clays and talk to people.but learn

You could be very close to a stonking new rifle range at Sengenyd  (probably not the right spelling) not far down the 470. In fact for you almost walking distance. Once the owner can get it off the ground it could be amazing.