Shooters with disabilities

Townie

Ventured to the clay ground yesterday and bumped into a chap missing his right hand. He was shooting a semi, which I imagine is reloadable with one hand and he had someone to button.

Anyone seen any disabled shooters? I didn't have the nerve to stay and watch how he managed.

Yes I have seen several in wheelchairs mostly shooting skeet and DTL and shooting sporting where the ground is fairly flat. I used to shoot with one guy who only had one arm, he held the stock under his armpit while reloading, he was a good shot too.

Vic.

36 minutes ago, Townie said:

Ventured to the clay ground yesterday and bumped into a chap missing his right hand. He was shooting a semi, which I imagine is reloadable with one hand and he had someone to button.

Anyone seen any disabled shooters? I didn't have the nerve to stay and watch how he managed.

No, but I did see a bloke at the petrol station with a prosthetic arm on a motorcycle. He strapped his left arm to the bar and shot off, must have nerves of steel.

I am disabled, although i do walk ok, ish

it was good to see a section recently in the basc magazine focusing on those with disabilities. i think there is a lot of untapped revenue that could be realised if clubs/shooting made a little more effort to improve access and offering/advertising taster sessions. 

my local club has great facilities in respect of traps, instructors etc... but the track that leads to the club is a mile long pothole strewn mess, the carpark is whacked type 1 that is rutted and worn, the clubs response recently was "you are coming to a gun club, not a golf course!"  as if we must all go and get massive 4x4's.

It’s not just shooting. A pal of mine is in a wheelchair and by some standards would be regarded as severely disabled. He doesn’t see it that way. He picks up with us on one of the UKs top shoots and will be out in all weathers in the mud kneeling on a mat. He trains his own dogs and is an absolute inspiration. He does his share of shooting too. Discretion and respect prevents me saying more.

• 3 weeks later...

I shot at Rishton with a mate of my regular shooting partner, Chris. We had finished the round when it emerged that he only had one leg. To be honest, I thought he was joking until he showed me the leg. Decent shot, good lad and downplayed his disability. 

It is a fair point about disabled facilities. DTL, ABT and Skeet lend themselves to wheelchair access, but I have never seen a sporting layout which would be easily accessible. Car parks usually resemble an assault course for any wheelchair bound shooters. It would take a fair bit more effort to make shoots more accessible, but I would welcome any move in that direction.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

I shot at Rishton with a mate of my regular shooting partner, Chris. We had finished the round when it emerged that he only had one leg. To be honest, I thought he was joking until he showed me the leg. Decent shot, good lad and downplayed his disability. 

It is a fair point about disabled facilities. DTL, ABT and Skeet lend themselves to wheelchair access, but I have never seen a sporting layout which would be easily accessible. Car parks usually resemble an assault course for any wheelchair bound shooters. It would take a fair bit more effort to make shoots more accessible, but I would welcome any move in that direction.

Fair point. Westlands only has one Sporting stand which wheelchair users would find difficult, and one impossible, whereas Coniston, from memory, doesn’t have any which wheelchair users could access. 
Wheelchair users would struggle at Crabtree also. 

Wheel chair accessible stands are great, but grounds without buggies for hire are difficult for shooters who can't walk long distances or stand for long periods. Sporting Targets, Riseley is the best all rounder I've found. Some great grounds that simply don't have buggies for hire.