the etiquette of shooting with big groups

quentyn

i normally shoot alone or with 1 other, i dont think i have ever shot in a big group. Recently i have noticed that at an increasingly larger number of grounds that the min group seems to be 4 with some gaggles of 8 clustered around stands. Now i dont have an issue with groups of people socializing at all but if you are in a big group please be aware of the person shooting alone. Perhaps let them shoot through ( as golf) ?

Today i waited patiently as 2 groups of 4 shot ( there was 1 group of 4 waiting as i got to the stand), another group of 4 came up behind me and instead of letting me shoot alone decided that they would join me and make a 5.... i tried to remonstrate with them but they were certain they were shooting... i abandoned the stand and went somewhere else ( annoying after waiting 25 mins ) 

If you are shooting in a group *please* be aware of the single shooter. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some folk seeing someone shooting on their own, think they’re helping out by offering to button for them. I always ask, and if they say they’re ok I just move on. 
If was intent on shooting on my own I’d just move on, and come back to it when it was quieter. Not always possible I know, but it’s one of the reasons we go midweek. 

41 minutes ago, Scully said:

Some folk seeing someone shooting on their own, think they’re helping out by offering to button for them. I always ask, and if they say they’re ok I just move on. 
If was intent on shooting on my own I’d just move on, and come back to it when it was quieter. Not always possible I know, but it’s one of the reasons we go midweek. 

oh i dont mind if someone offers to button for me ( i will offer to others too) what annoys me is the time it takes for a group to move through as normally there is 50% banter and 50% shooting 

today was just irritating that the larger group thought it acceptable to just push in with me  ( and then i would be shooting in a 5) when i had waited patiently for the other 2 groups. Honestly if they had just let me shoot i would have been finished in under 10 mins. Even when i said "i would prefer to shoot on my own" they kept coming 

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Why not just walk past without comment and get on with your shooting? 

They are not likely to catch you up!

today was a little more challenging as i had waited 20 mins to shoot - they had waited 10 and had decided they didnt want to wait any longer 

2 minutes ago, quentyn said:

today was a little more challenging as i had waited 20 mins to shoot - they had waited 10 and had decided they didnt want to wait any longer 

Then walk past any group of 4 or more and don't wast time waiting and spoiling your day.

Personally I think you were polite at first when you said “I would prefer to shoot alone”. 

The group were rude when they tried to speed things up for themselves and still tried to join you. 

At that point I would of had no issue being rude to them in return, and telling them you’d told them once politely, now **** off and wait their turn. 

I would have also raised an issue with the ground if they hadn’t apologised. 
Bloody cowboys trying their luck. 
Get them in all walks of life. 

Grounds must follow the current covid legislation, maximum group size six (max five CPSA recommendation) and the individuals in the group must maintain social distancing.  
You certainly were polite and could have very good reasons for shooting on your own to minimise covid risk for example if you have family or medical reasons to avoid unnecessary risk.
The ground owner if informed should act to ensure compliance, covid is not history yet.

Edited by rbrowning2

15 hours ago, quentyn said:

and instead of letting me shoot alone decided that they would join me and make a 5

I don't understand this part ... if you shot before them (why would you let them push in?), surely you could have moved on after your turn?

I don't shoot clays on my own, but in a group coming across the lone gun, some welcome a chance to have a chat and get the buttoning done, but we also respect those who just want to push on through and do their thing.

11 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

Grounds must follow the current covid legislation, maximum group size six (max five CPSA recommendation) and the individuals in the group must maintain social distancing.  
You certainly were polite and could have very good reasons for shooting on your own to minimise covid risk for example if you have family or medical reasons to avoid unnecessary risk.
The ground owner if informed should act to ensure compliance, covid is not history yet.

I think you’ll find theory and practice are two totally different things. 

I would say "the etiquette of shooting with big groups", would be to wait your turn :good: if people want to let a lone shooter 'shoot through' so to speak, that's their perogative, but to expect every group to do this is just arrogance, the group has the same right to shoot as the lone shooter. Each have paid their money and are out to enjoy themselves, some prefer to do this in a social group, others on their lonesome. First come, first served I say.

3 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I don't understand this part ... if you shot before them (why would you let them push in?), surely you could have moved on after your turn?

Yes that doesn’t quite make sense. 

Unless it’s one of those grounds you shoot several different ‘stands’ from the same spot? 

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

I would say "the etiquette of shooting with big groups", would be to wait your turn :good: if people want to let a lone shooter 'shoot through' so to speak, that's their perogative, but to expect every group to do this is just arrogance, the group has the same right to shoot as the lone shooter. Each have paid their money and are out to enjoy themselves, some prefer to do this in a social group, others on their lonesome. First come, first served I say.

Is the correct answer!:good:

Either politely walk past or put up with it.

On 10/04/2021 at 23:00, Vince Green said:

group of 4 should always let a single shooter shoot through them . Just like in the supermarket when somebody is behind you with one item and you have a trolley full

Why? If we've waited our turn why do we have to let someone else in front? Our time is as important as anyone's. People are free not to wait and to move on. It's nice to let someone shoot eight pairs and move on but if it's practice you have no idea what people are going to do. In competition it's all done on which cards get in first. Move on, do another stand. Come back later. 

3 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Why? If we've waited our turn why do we have to let someone else in front? Our time is as important as anyone's. People are free not to wait and to move on. It's nice to let someone shoot eight pairs and move on but if it's practice you have no idea what people are going to do. In competition it's all done on which cards get in first. Move on, do another stand. Come back later. 

This ^^

its not a group’s fault your on your own 

not a problem with the local ground all caddy rounds they score button fix the traps and call the no birds 

If you have a problem on a specific target they will even get the coach in at the end of the round to help you out 

5 hours ago, Old farrier said:

This ^^

its not a group’s fault your on your own 

not a problem with the local ground all caddy rounds they score button fix the traps and call the no birds 

If you have a problem on a specific target they will even get the coach in at the end of the round to help you out 

Read the response from cuffy, I was waiting for my turn and another group pushed in 

I wasn't looking for special treatment or to go ahead, I wanted to shoot the layout and the group behind me decided that they would shoot with me (an English sporting layout with 3 stations) 

8 hours ago, quentyn said:

Read the response from cuffy, I was waiting for my turn and another group pushed in 

I wasn't looking for special treatment or to go ahead, I wanted to shoot the layout and the group behind me decided that they would shoot with me (an English sporting layout with 3 stations) 

On 10/04/2021 at 17:47, quentyn said:

if you are in a big group please be aware of the person shooting alone. Perhaps let them shoot through ( as golf)

You may not have meant it like that, but that is how this read to me.

Edited by Newbie to this

11 hours ago, quentyn said:

The thread drifted. Vince Green said we should always let a sine.shootet shoot through. That is a different statement from you waiting your turn and being overtaken because you were alone.