the etiquette of shooting with big groups

quentyn

16 hours ago, quentyn said:

Read the response from cuffy, I was waiting for my turn and another group pushed in 

I wasn't looking for special treatment or to go ahead, I wanted to shoot the layout and the group behind me decided that they would shoot with me (an English sporting layout with 3 stations) 

So you were up next and they shot before you? 

Should have told them to **** off. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

So you were up next and they shot before you? 

Should have told them to **** off. 

they actually decided they were going to shoot *with* me - making me shoot in a 5

and yes thats what i should have told them to do - i walked away instead 

6 hours ago, quentyn said:

they actually decided they were going to shoot *with* me - making me shoot in a 5

and yes thats what i should have told them to do - i walked away instead 

Of you’d have shot first of the five could you then just move on to the next stand? 

4 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Plenty of reasons posted so far why I dont shoot on Sunday mornings , particularly straw bailers.

Also plenty of reasons why I like shooting trap 

Blimey, I venture in to the "dark side" every now and then, but not through choice!:w00t:

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m still struggling to see how anyone can just muscle in and join you if you don’t hand over your card? 

Maybe because he let them muscle in.

He says they offered to button for him which is quite normal when seeing a lone shooter, he then joined their "group" and let it happen.

Quite why he was so offend in the first place rather than declining and continuing on his way.

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Blimey, I venture in to the "dark side" every now and then, but not through choice!:w00t:

Much better than queuing behind a bunch of idiots sharing a camo pump or semi auto. Most still feeling high from alcohol or other substance from the Saturday night.

Or a large group who then decided to give shooting lessons to some of them. 

Queuing 15 mins and mostly more to blast off ten shots in doubles over less than 2 mins is not my idea of enjoyment.

Takes all I suppose but sporting is purely a mid week activity for me when the grounds are quiet.

8 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Much better than queuing behind a bunch of idiots sharing a camo pump or semi auto. Most still feeling high from alcohol or other substance from the Saturday night.

Queuing 15 mins and mostly more to blast off ten shots in doubles over less than 2 mins is not my idea of enjoyment.

Takes all I suppose but sporting is purely a mid week activity for me when the grounds are quiet.

Oh I quite agree, but when you have accomplished what you set out to do, you go looking for something more difficult, a better challenge!

23 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Traditionally in the US, and to some extent in the UK, trap was shot mostly with pumps and autos. 
I find trap quite boring, which is why I don’t shoot it that often nowadays. 
I know a lad who once shot a lot of Olympic Trap and was once in the England Squad; he didnt shoot any other discipline so obviously enjoyed it. Andy Gregson. I don’t think he shoots at all now. 
Like you say, it takes all sorts. 
Just thinking about it, we don’t tend to do much queuing at all, and I don’t think I’ve ever queued for 15 minutes, or even 10, but don’t mind waiting my turn anyhow as I enjoy watching how others do. 
I quite like straw balers too, as you get a good mix of folk. 🙂

17 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Try some olypic trap , that's a decent challenge 

Yes done that, much prefer shooting registered English Sporting and FITASC.

No queues when squadded, great targets and you are usually shooting with people who take it seriously!

9 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes done that, much prefer shooting registered English Sporting and FITASC.

No queues when squadded, great targets and you are usually shooting with people who take it seriously!

Fair enough , any type of shooting away from the numerous Sunday morning idiots will do for me 👍

2 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Fair enough , any type of shooting away from the numerous Sunday morning idiots will do for me 👍

Yes I think moving across to registered makes a difference, like Scully I enjoy the "straw bailers" but I take them for what they are!

Of course the very best way of getting some practice without having to mix with the "hoi polloi" is to shoot in the back garden!

17 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

No that's not an issue. I have seen people wearing their 'country attire ' which cost more than my gun, acting like plonkers

That works both ways. 
I have experienced dedicated clay pigeon shooters with very expensive kit, acting like absolute morons, and dangerous morons at that. 
One thing I can’t stand at clay grounds are those experienced and proficient shots who ridicule those who are less experienced and proficient. 

I think we all agree. Most shooters are safe, considerate and well mannered. Ability, wealth,skill social back ground etc matters not. However there still are plenty of plonkers out there and their numbers seem to be quite numerous on the Sunday morning straw bailers from my experience.

8 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Maybe because he let them muscle in.

He says they offered to button for him which is quite normal when seeing a lone shooter, he then joined their "group" and let it happen.

Quite why he was so offend in the first place rather than declining and continuing on his way.

they didnt offer to button for me - it was a stand with 3 positions and a trapper 

i waited my turn to shoot all 3 positions one after the other 

the group ( who had been waiting about 5 mins) decided to make it a 5 and shoot with me  - i asked to shoot it alone as i had just waited 20 mins to shoot it and they kept on coming. The trapper was oblivious as he was in his hut at the end of the stand. I said i wanted to shoot alone and they all stood behind me expectantly ignoring me.  I decided that it was probably better that i shot elsewhere. 

Tightchoke - where did i say "they offered to button for me"  - all they wanted to do was make me join their group for the layout  

20 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Of you’d have shot first of the five could you then just move on to the next stand? 

no as it was a stand with 3 positions which would have meant shooting the 1st set then waiting for 4 people to finish, shooting the 2nd and then waiting for 4 people to finish and i suspect you can guess the next bit 

• 4 weeks later...

I understand straw baler to be a term to describe an informal “straw bale” clay shoot. The set up is generally in an agricultural field under the 28 day rule with traps and stands (often straw bales or 3 pallets etc) that may be moved about or brought in completely.