Centrepin

48 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Bit random I know.

In my opinion the best pork pies you can buy are from:

Pilchins farm shop Algarkirk, who also make great Haslet

and

Berès of Hillsborough Sheffield.

Unless you know differant?

Not random, pork pies are always worth talking about.

Plenty of good butchers around here that make them. Paddy Ryan in Much Wenlock does make very good ones.

Aldersons in Bridgnorth used to make gooduns but I believe its changed hands and not had any for a while.

Crombies of Edinburgh had some lovely scotch pies when I went.

Ive always fancied a pork pie made with apple sauce mixed into the gelatin so it sets inside.

Edited by Pangolin

23 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

Ive always fancied a pork pie made with apple sauce mixed into the gelatin so it sets inside

Funnily enough I had one a few years ago from a pork pie shop in, of all places. Melton Mowbray.  Also did one of the best pies I've tasted,  IIRC their "supreme".

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Those I make myself probably.

Aye, but I asked where you could buy them from as we can travel from tomorrow. 

It's nice to pick up a pork pie when you're shooting or visiting differant areas.

Mind you, if you're offering, I'll call in for a home made one😁

You will be lucky as they disappear almost as fast as they are made.  I also have a reputation for game pies. It really is not rocket science and hot crust pastry is so easy to make. Then the innards are to your palate.  Much easier now than when my grandmother used to form the hotcrust up the sides of a jar then fill. Now I use a springform and it makes it so much eaiser.

024.jpg

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

You will be lucky as they disappear almost as fast as they are made.  I also have a reputation for game pies. It really is not rocket science and hot crust pastry is so easy to make. Then the innards are to your palate.  Much easier now than when my grandmother used to form the hotcrust up the sides of a jar then fill. Now I use a springform and it makes it so much eaiser.

024.jpg

Looks very tasty. There's nothing like homemade. 

I have made some at home but I'm thinking more of when I'm out and about with the caravan fishing or shooting. 

5 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Did somebody mention Haslet??? OMG, with wholegrain mustard what a treat......

On fresh 🍞 bread. 

When I call into Pilchins she always tells me come back in a couple of days and she'll do me a big haslet and a couple of big pies to take home.

I often stay near Fosdyke for fishing and for those few days eat far too many pies and far too much haslet.

5 hours ago, Centrepin said:

On fresh 🍞 bread. 

When I call into Pilchins she always tells me come back in a couple of days and she'll do me a big haslet and a couple of big pies to take home.

I often stay near Fosdyke for fishing and for those few days eat far too many pies and far too much haslet.

Cant seem to get any decent Haslet around here, Tesco used to do a pretty good one but they seem to have changed their supplier just over a year ago and it's flavourless. 

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Cant seem to get any decent Haslet around here, Tesco used to do a pretty good one but they seem to have changed their supplier just over a year ago and it's flavourless. 

I'm booked for 10 days or so fishing and shooting near there in early May. Would you like me to see how much it'll be to post you a full one out?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had a good haslet for ages. The rubbish they here in Leicestershire sell sliced so think it'd blow off you plate is a mere poor sort of cold meatloaf. I get my haslet from a butcher in Spalding on the now rare times I visit Elderkin's.

I don't much rate the Ye Olde Porke Shoppe place in Melton Mowbray either FWIW. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I prefer a Walker's pie and yet, now apparently both they and Dickinson and Morris are under the Samworth Brothers mantle.

Edited by enfieldspares

10 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I haven't had a good haslet for ages. The rubbish they here in Leicestershire sell sliced so think it'd blow off you plate is a mere poor sort of cold meatloaf. I get my haslet from a butcher in Spalding on the now rare times I visit Elderkin's.

I don't much rate the Ye Olde Porke Shoppe place in Melton Mowbray either FWIW. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I prefer a Walker's pie and yet, now apparently both they and Dickinson and Morris are under the Samworth Brothers mantle.

If you're in Spalding it's worth the little extra up the A16 to the roundabout with the A17 where Pilchins are located at Algarkirk.