Pork pies

Centrepin

4 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Go on then, you've intrigued me, recipe please🤔

I'd never made one before so picked a haslet recipe off the net, they were all pretty similar, and not unlike this one

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/29737/haslet.aspx

Then used 50/50 mix of pigeon breast and pork shoulder, minced together. The pigeon is a little stronger than the pork and you can increase increase the flavouring another 25% without issue which I did. Don't be shy about that. Follow the instructions. Voila. You'll love it. Even the kids liked it. Great cold with fried egg and chips, in sandwiches etc etc. 

That 50/50 minced ratio does pretty much everything from spicy meatballs to burgers, sausages etc etc, spag bog. 

8 hours ago, GingerCat said:

I'd never made one before so picked a haslet recipe off the net, they were all pretty similar, and not unlike this one

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/29737/haslet.aspx

Then used 50/50 mix of pigeon breast and pork shoulder, minced together. The pigeon is a little stronger than the pork and you can increase increase the flavouring another 25% without issue which I did. Don't be shy about that. Follow the instructions. Voila. You'll love it. Even the kids liked it. Great cold with fried egg and chips, in sandwiches etc etc. 

That 50/50 minced ratio does pretty much everything from spicy meatballs to burgers, sausages etc etc, spag bog. 

Thanks I'll give it a try👍

On 11/04/2021 at 08:31, Pangolin said:

Not random, pork pies are always worth talking about.

Plenty of good butchers around here that make them. Paddy Ryan in Much Wenlock does make very good ones.

Aldersons in Bridgnorth used to make gooduns but I believe its changed hands and not had any for a while.

Crombies of Edinburgh had some lovely scotch pies when I went.

Ive always fancied a pork pie made with apple sauce mixed into the gelatin so it sets inside.

Think you will find that scotch pies are made with mutton.