Jump to content

Tree Surgery Prices


Recommended Posts

At our old house we had 6 leylandii of about 15 ft taken down and taken away at a cost of £1000 ish. 

When we moved in here we had 16 leylandii of 50-60ft in the garden but never got round to doing anything about them as we thought the cost would be a joke. 

Got a bloke round yesterday to quote for climbing them and taking them all down to 20ft as we want to keep a screen from the wind. We're going to burn the branches and he said he'd log up the trunks for us. I expected the worst as he surveyed the work but he said "If I can't do that in a day I'm doing something wrong. £180 all in." London vs country prices. Well impressed. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm far from an expert in these matters , but that does sound worryingly cheap .

If he turns out to be ok , can you send me his number please . I have a couple of weeks work for him 👍.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He actually works with my son and is doing it at a weekend. Mates rates possibly. 

I'd give it a go myself if I wasn't fat, lazy and scared of heights. Climbing 60ft with a chainsaw? What could possibly go wrong?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I'm far from an expert in these matters , but that does sound worryingly cheap .

If he turns out to be ok , can you send me his number please . I have a couple of weeks work for him 👍.

Check his CS tickets, but lopping the tops off Leyllanii isn't a terribly tricky job for a lot of them. They tend not to have large, spreading boughs high up, so it is more a case of just cutting back small branches, then cutting off the main trunk.

That said, if he's going up, he shouldn't be working alone: 'if 'I' can't...' He should have a groundsman with him.

Ah...he has a groundsman in your son then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Check his CS tickets, but lopping the tops off Leyllanii isn't a terribly tricky job for a lot of them. They tend not to have large, spreading boughs high up, so it is more a case of just cutting back small branches, then cutting off the main trunk.

That said, if he's going up, he shouldn't be working alone: 'if 'I' can't...' He should have a groundsman with him.

Ah...he has a groundsman in your son then?

He's a fully qualified arborist and climber and yes, my son is doing his bit for free. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, walshie said:

He's a fully qualified arborist and climber and yes, my son is doing his bit for free. 👍

That sounds more like it . I can definitely find him plenty of work if he wants it.👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, walshie said:

He's a fully qualified arborist and climber and yes, my son is doing his bit for free. 👍

If that’s the case it’s about right for a weekend job only one climber leaving everything behind.  If it was here approx £200 a day for climber and £120 for groundsman. Lots of add ons can be added after that, distance from base chipper, removal of waste, dog poo tax!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll bet he uses a big ladder and tops them from there, if he doesn't have to clear up or worry about where he's dropping them it won't be a big job.

A neighbour was having work done and we wanted some Leylandii topped that were on there side,  big ladder the type you see in shops with wheels, they weren't big trees so climbing them would have been hard work, took them two minutes I'd say, £80.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also do this as a weekend past time and the biggest expense to me  is getting rid of the waist so that helps massive to the cost  if I don’t take it away. I brought a chipper to take with me and most people are happy for me to chip on site and leave it for them to get rid of if it saves them money. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crossy 666 said:

brought a chipper to take with me and most people are happy for me to chip on site and leave it for them to get rid of if it saves them money

Takes more time than the job half the time as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...