Opportunity taken

muncher

I have been looking at a rape field that’s been consistently mowed by pigeons, but up to yet I’ve not got into them due to another field close by. I set up on the rape field my usual set up a rotary and a couple of dead birds on cradles around 9 o’clock. A few had a look and paid the price , but I could see in the distance the flight line had changed and was now going to the other field. Motty called and said, I will be finished work  by noon. Around 11 o’clock I packed up and went for a drive to see if I could find anything worth having a go at. Motty was going to do the same around some of his permission. I decided to check out a new farm I picked up a few weeks back. I was on route when I noticed some pigeons on some lifted sugar beer. I pulled into the field and as I know the farmer I gave him a call to check I was ok to have a go, crack on chap, he replied. I drove onto the field to be greeted by three fields , one drilled one,of harvested maize and the beet field absolutely covered with pigeons, probably around 1500 in total. I called Motty and told him to get his backside over to me. I set up in a shallow reedy Dyke with the wind from left to right. This was probably a mistake as I should’ve set up around the corner of the Dyke with the wind behind me, but I was a bit concerned about a bungalow in the line of fire. I had just set up when Motty turned up , a quick hide built for him and we were away. The birds came from all directions and most were coming from a long way off very high. It soon became apparent that they didn’t want the field were on but another drilled field about half a mile away, but the sheer volume of pigeons around it didn’t matter, some decoyed some flighted over. We had every shot in the book and it’s some of the best pigeon shooting  we have had for some time. My brother came over to visit and he went a field over to flight some. We packed up at 5 with pigeons still streaming over ( someone had to go home) Motty and I picked up 134 and my brother picked up 30. Motty range finder said the bungalow was near 400 yards away, so it would have been safe to have set up in the best place and the score would have been quite a lot higher, but the quality wouldn’t have been so challenging. 

C3D6A235-1183-4EE4-87CD-1F7DBAA33EDC.jpeg

9 hours ago, clangerman said:

cracking bag there lot of birds seem reluctant to decoy well at the moment lucky touch they played ball for you nice one 

They did and didn’t, but it made the day better for it. 👍

19 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Nice to read that you're on them👍

Thanks, been a bit lean of late. We did manage a 94 a couple of weeks back though on some drilled wheat. 

On 11/04/2021 at 20:34, muncher said:

I have been looking at a rape field that’s been consistently mowed by pigeons, but up to yet I’ve not got into them due to another field close by. I set up on the rape field my usual set up a rotary and a couple of dead birds on cradles around 9 o’clock. A few had a look and paid the price , but I could see in the distance the flight line had changed and was now going to the other field. Motty called and said, I will be finished work  by noon. Around 11 o’clock I packed up and went for a drive to see if I could find anything worth having a go at. Motty was going to do the same around some of his permission. I decided to check out a new farm I picked up a few weeks back. I was on route when I noticed some pigeons on some lifted sugar beer. I pulled into the field and as I know the farmer I gave him a call to check I was ok to have a go, crack on chap, he replied. I drove onto the field to be greeted by three fields , one drilled one,of harvested maize and the beet field absolutely covered with pigeons, probably around 1500 in total. I called Motty and told him to get his backside over to me. I set up in a shallow reedy Dyke with the wind from left to right. This was probably a mistake as I should’ve set up around the corner of the Dyke with the wind behind me, but I was a bit concerned about a bungalow in the line of fire. I had just set up when Motty turned up , a quick hide built for him and we were away. The birds came from all directions and most were coming from a long way off very high. It soon became apparent that they didn’t want the field were on but another drilled field about half a mile away, but the sheer volume of pigeons around it didn’t matter, some decoyed some flighted over. We had every shot in the book and it’s some of the best pigeon shooting  we have had for some time. My brother came over to visit and he went a field over to flight some. We packed up at 5 with pigeons still streaming over ( someone had to go home) Motty and I picked up 134 and my brother picked up 30. Motty range finder said the bungalow was near 400 yards away, so it would have been safe to have set up in the best place and the score would have been quite a lot higher, but the quality wouldn’t have been so challenging. 

C3D6A235-1183-4EE4-87CD-1F7DBAA33EDC.jpeg

Down load google earth mate then press the ruler top right move the screen to where you are and add point then move the line to where you want it and that will give you your distance no need for a range finder atb Dean 

9 minutes ago, Newkid said:

Down load google earth mate then press the ruler top right move the screen to where you are and add point then move the line to where you want it and that will give you your distance no need for a range finder atb Dean 

Good to know, thanks.