New Zealand wine

Walker570

Looks like Liz Truss is about to complete a very good trade deal with New Zealand which should result in NZ wines being cheaper as we would not have to charge an import tax which would normally be passed to the EU.  Look forward to it, they make some very drinkable wine.

Edited by Walker570

9 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Good for you, bad for me! It'll probably push prices up here, just like everything else, lamb, fish, dairy, but that is the way of the world. Marlborough pinot gris is the way to go! 

I don't see how it should as the savings for us would be the TAX  we have to put on and then pay to the EU which of course we now do not have to do.  How would that effect your prices ?   Hopefully we could get back to the old days of trading with our Commonwealth friends without the constraints of the evil European Union.  I remember when we had to cut ourselves off from NZ and Australia and admired the Kiwis in particular for the way they went out and found new places to trade..  I have distant relatives who grow grapes and kiwi fruit in Hawkes Bay area.   The Wheatley family.

9 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Good for you, bad for me! It'll probably push prices up here, just like everything else, lamb, fish, dairy, but that is the way of the world. Marlborough pinot gris is the way to go! 

Haven’t had a bad Marlborough wine yet. Spent a day in the Sound on the mail boat when we were in NZ a few years ago. My most memorable day there.

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Looks like Liz Truss is about to complete a very good trade deal with New Zealand which should result in NZ wines being cheaper as we would not have to charge an import tax which would normally be passed to the EU.  Look forward to it, they make some very drinkable wine.

:good: All excellent news.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I don't see how it should as the savings for us would be the TAX  we have to put on and then pay to the EU which of course we now do not have to do.  How would that effect your prices ? 

Economies of scale is the phrase. We are a small population, so a limited market and buying power for distributors/retailers. Overseas markets are far bigger and more powerful. Locals have to compete in that market and we end up paying export prices for locally produced goods. 

EDIT: My statement is dependent upon the UK buying more NZ produce as a result of reduced import taxes.

3 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Haven’t had a bad Marlborough wine yet. Spent a day in the Sound on the mail boat when we were in NZ a few years ago. My most memorable day there.

Yes, it is a lovely area and I would say almost the perfect combination of fishing and hunting opportunities.

Edited by Houseplant