Jump to content

Shotguns, SGCs and cartidges conficated


Recommended Posts

Last week after as blazing row (over their continually and escalating challenging behaviour) with one of my (adult) children I took their keys away and physically had to throw them out the house. They called the police and allegations were made (that I think denied, I'm under new medication as part of my ongoing cancer treatment so it's hazy) and my 19 YO child was taken by their grandparents. The only thing I was told was that the police would have to inform my youngest SEND child's school of the incident (I didn't ask them about my volunteering with a disability sports group).

The following afternoon an officer appeared at my door, I let him in thinking it would *just* be further questioning about the incident. He then said he was there to remove my shotguns, licence and all ammunition due to a directive from the three counties that comprise my firearms area (Herts, Beds and Cambs). He wanted the three shotguns (and their slips), cartridges (four slabs, a couple of boxes, a full cartridge belt) and my cert (with two previous certs and a few lapsed club/soc membership tickets) in its wallet. I fully complied (helping him move them from where they were stored) and I asked for a receipt (he declined), I requested that I photo his notebook entry detailing what he was taking he said that was confidential but said it could photo the 'haul'. Before driving off he said that I should contact my licensing authority for timescales of what would be happening and that he would 'send' me a receipt.

The receipt turned out to be an SMS with a property reference no.

I am at a loss and have no idea of what to do next as I have heard nothing about what is going on. My first instinct was to phone the FAO but that's just a recorded message saying that their in-box is full.

Edited by DrBlox
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

40 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

Are you a member of a shooting organisation?

No. I let it lapse after a RTC (back injury) meant I didn't shoot for 3 years. First time was during the Xmas break in lockdown.

Edited by DrBlox
Trying to quote
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Seems you need legal advice from a lawyer specialising in firearms law. I thought there was one on here as a member. Look up Kingsley and Napley on tinternet.

And a shame you let the single crewed officer in to your house.

I hope you get it all sorted out.

Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

first port of call seek examination from your gp if he is happy demand your tickets are returned do not speak with the police as they are now in the position of having to justify their actions do so and you will regret it your in for a hard long fight 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, this must be so very difficult for you at a time on your cancer treatment and will say a not very understanding grown up son or daughter, maybe the officer should have explained the situation at the door , don't they need a warrant ? I would see the GP first and maybe as  Dave mentioned a lawyer who deals with fire arms, I would consider your health is first priority , can only wish you the best, 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly I do not think your GP can help, they will have removed them due to the potential as they see it of the behaviour escalating between you and your adult child. Once the police were called to what they probably classed as domestic violence their was likely only one outcome. 
Probably now at best a calling off period at worst your certificate revoked and told to reapply in a few years.

No quick fix I fear, good luck and put your health first.

Write to the firearms manager requesting they phone you to discuss the situation.

 

Edited by rbrowning2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that you've had your ticket removed , and not revoked ( but that might change). Give yourself time to catch your breath , then contact your firearms department .  It's a bit early for shooting organisations and solicitors( but again ,that might change). The police are just being mindful of how a domestic can go downhill rapidly , and covering their backsides.

You aren't the first to be in this situation buddy , and you won't be the last . Just roll with it for a while , until you know what the police are up to .

I hope things work out well for you , in every way mate 👍.

Edited to add.

Kids are a xxxxxxx nightmare at times , but apparently they grow out of it😕.

Edited by mel b3
Link to post
Share on other sites

While I can understand the logic of taking the shotguns into secure storage, a lot of what else was taken and how it was taken is a little strange.
The paperwork aside from the SGC is NOT Police property, so the police have no right to take it.
While you do need an SGC or FAC to buy shotgun cartridges, anyone can possess them without an SGC/FAC - so that part of the "seizure" is also questionable...!
Seems like a definite case of consult a lawyer and raise a few questions regarding the why's and wherefores of what has just happened.
Hope you get it sorted out soon

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally think this could have been handled better

police officer could have requested you take them to a rfd for safe storage/sale and then removed your certificate

would save the police resources and be the same outcome although you would be paying storage 

and with perfect hindsight maybe you should have lodged them with a rfd when your treatment started along with the problem of your children 

best of luck with the situation hopefully you will get a good outcome 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, saddler said:

While I can understand the logic of taking the shotguns into secure storage, a lot of what else was taken and how it was taken is a little strange.
The paperwork aside from the SGC is NOT Police property, so the police have no right to take it.
While you do need an SGC or FAC to buy shotgun cartridges, anyone can possess them without an SGC/FAC - so that part of the "seizure" is also questionable...!
Seems like a definite case of consult a lawyer and raise a few questions regarding the why's and wherefores of what has just happened.
Hope you get it sorted out soon


if they do not take the sgc what stops the person as soon as the police leave going and buying another gun? And if need be then some cartridges (they may have not handed all in).

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mel b3 said:

It appears that you've had your ticket removed , and not revoked ( but that might change). Give yourself time to catch your breath , then contact your firearms department .  It's a bit early for shooting organisations and solicitors( but again ,that might change). The police are just being mindful of how a domestic can go downhill rapidly , and covering their backsides.

You aren't the first to be in this situation buddy , and you won't be the last . Just roll with it for a while , until you know what the police are up to .

I hope things work out well for you , in every way mate 👍.

Edited to add.

Kids are a xxxxxxx nightmare at times , but apparently they grow out of it😕.

Thanks for this little bit of positivity.

And apologies to all for not being able to spell "confiscated" in the thread title.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi , sorry to hear about your problem , I’d be as above sit back give it a little time then start looking into it , but I would say it’s probably worth joining basc and using their specialists when you’re ready to pursue this , good luck 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

Hi , sorry to hear about your problem , I’d be as above sit back give it a little time then start looking into it , but I would say it’s probably worth joining basc and using their specialists when you’re ready to pursue this , good luck 

BASC dropped the legal cover insurance last year and AFAIK will not in any case "pick up" any ongoing issue that has begun life before membership was taken out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:


if they do not take the sgc what stops the person as soon as the police leave going and buying another gun? And if need be then some cartridges (they may have not handed all in).

Who said that they should/could NOT take the SGC??
Re-read my statement

Edited by saddler
Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI I have just had a telephone interview with FAO and things don't look so bleak/uncertain as they did yesterday.

Can I thank everyone who's replied for the helpful input.

And even more apologies to all for not being able to spell "cartridges" in the thread title.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DrBlox said:

FYI I have just had a telephone interview with FAO and things don't look so bleak/uncertain as they did yesterday.

Can I thank everyone who's replied for the helpful input.

And even more apologies to all for not being able to spell "cartridges" in the thread title.

 

I'm glad that things are looking a bit more positive for you mate.

Anyone that has ever lived with a teenager , will be no stranger to a blazing row , this includes your feo.  Although this situation will seem pretty grim to you , it'll just be normal run of the mill stuff to them 👍.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a common occurrence following a domestic or any other allegation if violence or similar with a sgc/fac holder. The Bobby would have been told to request the guns and cert and book them in at the station. They don't give receipts as there aren't any to give and haven't been for years.  Refusal to hand them over normally results in being revoked within the hour and that makes things somewhat harder to get back. The fao will look into it and return it all if they can. You did everything perfectly well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...