A birding outing.

JDog

This morning in order to cheer myself up after seeing the effects of a -3 degree frost on Hydrangea and Clematis buds I travelled to the Far Ings nature reserve in the shadow of the Humber bridge.

Without leaving the car I saw numerous Sand martins, a few House martins and a pair of Greylags with a brood of five goslings. 

The Holy Grail is a Bittern and after hearing one booming I walked on and found one on the edge of some reed beds taking in the sun. It was no more than 50m away.

Chetti's warblers were everywhere and after hearing ten or so I saw my first one. Thereafter I saw loads.

Another one to look for was a Bearded tit and I managed to see one skulking in the reeds before I left.

This is a great place for anyone remotely interested in birds.

4 hours ago, JDog said:

This morning in order to cheer myself up after seeing the effects of a -3 degree frost on Hydrangea and Clematis buds I travelled to the Far Ings nature reserve in the shadow of the Humber bridge.

Without leaving the car I saw numerous Sand martins, a few House martins and a pair of Greylags with a brood of five goslings. 

The Holy Grail is a Bittern and after hearing one booming I walked on and found one on the edge of some reed beds taking in the sun. It was no more than 50m away.

Chetti's warblers were everywhere and after hearing ten or so I saw my first one. Thereafter I saw loads.

Another one to look for was a Bearded tit and I managed to see one skulking in the reeds before I left.

This is a great place for anyone remotely interested in birds.

Does the Bittern breed there JDog ?

Males can mate with 4 or 5 females per season if they are available, with each female producing 4/5 eggs .

They are amber listed now, with an estimated 80 breeding males in the UK.

16 minutes ago, twenty said:

Does the Bittern breed there JDog ?

Males can mate with 4 or 5 females per season if they are available, with each female producing 4/5 eggs .

They are amber listed now, with an estimated 80 breeding males in the UK.

3 pairs have bred for the last three years.

11 hours ago, yod dropper said:

A Bittern is a rare thing indeed and a real treat.

I've been mainly enjoying the skylarks. They're doing well on some fields near mine but I fear some dog walkers don't help.

Bittern's are rare but if you spend a bit of time around the nature trail on Hickling Broad you will stand a good chance of seeing one and possibly hearing the boom it makes .