Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi looking for advise, people thoughts

i have a Cocker year and half old works lovely had her out for first season last year as I have a small shoot I gamekeep and she was brilliant 

when I walk her anywhere but the shoot she works left and right and recalls great 

but soon as I’m now the shoot with her and there scents etc or she flushed she chases but does stop sometimes 

how do I get her to slow down work  closer like she did 

 

Is it work putting here on a long line and and recalls and and talk to her thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you need to take a few steps backward with your training before its to late, “but does stop sometimes” it should stop every time, the dog is obviously not steady to game/scent, or the stop command.

The last thing you want to-do is slow her drive down, you need to control her drive, your the boss make her understand what's expected of her.

Edited by old'un
Link to post
Share on other sites

Get yourself to a trainer - you’re on the cusp of creating a monster here if you can’t / don’t steady her up - this time is crucial. It’s also impossible to advise without seeing the dog and you together.

What area are you in and we can all see if we know anybody close to you?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have trained one before, how did the last one turn out?

You must have books or videos on training, just follow the steps and don't rush it, make sure the dog is rock steady to all commands (it obeys all commands every time without exception) take it somewhere there is game/scent, and without the gun, keep her on a long line if need be, try to anticipation the flush and be ready to jump on her, it also sounds to me the dog was a little young to be out on its first season at 12 months old.

We have all perhaps been guilty of it in our younger days of rushing training and wanting to get out with the dog and do some real hunting, as bigbird said you’re on the cusp of creating an uncontrollable monster, time to take a few steps back and forget shooting over her until she is steady and obeys all commands.

Edited by old'un
Link to post
Share on other sites

Understand that but as she is down there all the time with me feeding walking outskirts etc she worked lovely flushed stopped when told etc with the light having around more now in evening I can do a lot more with her which helps 

but although you say she was young she worked brilliantly didn’t go fair wrong at all and when we day out this is nothing big at all just few small bird mix fields and some small woods 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, farmboy807 said:

Understand that but as she is down there all the time with me feeding walking outskirts etc she worked lovely flushed stopped when told etc with the light having around more now in evening I can do a lot more with her which helps 

but although you say she was young she worked brilliantly didn’t go fair wrong at all and when we day out this is nothing big at all just few small bird mix fields and some small woods 

Your last post is contradicting your first post.

“but soon as I’m now the shoot with her and there scents etc or she flushed she chases but does stop sometimes”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has she retrieved a pheasant either picking up or pegging one? That’s usually when they start to go AWOL or need some refresher training especially when they’re young as old ‘un says

Edited by bigbird
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Has she retrieved a pheasant either picking up or pegging one? That’s usually when they start to go AWOL or need some refresher training especially when they’re young as old ‘un says

No I haven’t tried picking up with her yet wanted to make sure she just one thing first before jumping to the next 

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Your last post is contradicting your first post.

“but soon as I’m now the shoot with her and there scents etc or she flushed she chases but does stop sometimes”

Yes I know sorry it’s basically  since the season ended well what we had of it to now maybe because we haven’t done a lot since season ended 

maybe I was just walking her rather than training her 

but thanks for reply’s will look up some YouTube’s videos and see how it goes from there thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Get yourself to a trainer - you’re on the cusp of creating a monster here if you can’t / don’t steady her up - this time is crucial. It’s also impossible to advise without seeing the dog and you together.

What area are you in and we can all see if we know anybody close to you?

+1 and if you can’t get to a trainer you must go back to basics and into the training in a controlled environment. It sounds like you have relaxed a little with a young dog as we are all apt to from time to time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the thing with introducing young dogs is althou the training may be there/almos there often the concentration/maturity isn't.

There is a lot of young dogs spoiled by too much too soon, it's very rare to any damage holding them back an extra season, esp if a lot off scent/excitement on the day.

As everyone has said back to basics and u could be on he edge of a unruly dog, if it starts chasing at tha age often the trigger for them to start squeaking/yipping. Very hard to cure

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...