Static hides

Stewiew

I have a couple. 1st one was cut down and stolen, no idea by whom. 2nd had to be moved although always productive, as farmer didn't like it.

Just built another in a generally productive area. Great for when the birds are in that area or you can walk/drive them off other areas.

You can get natural foliage to grow round them making them better camouflaged and birds used to them.

Best thing is they're convenient for short spells. 

20210407_133941.jpg

20210407_133446.jpg

20210407_133952.jpg

My latest, just needs natural foliage and the birds to get used to it.

I would only put up a static hide on land where I have got the soul rights and only then to save lugging the gear over a long distance  , on shared land I wouldn't bother as I prefer to put my hide up on the day I go and take advantage on the wind direction , also I wouldn't want to advertise a decent place and someone else to take advantage of  .

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

I would only put up a static hide on land where I have got the soul rights and only then to save lugging the gear over a long distance  , on shared land I wouldn't bother as I prefer to put my hide up on the day I go and take advantage on the wind direction , also I wouldn't want to advertise a decent place and someone else to take advantage of  .

9 hours ago, Morkin said:

You took the words right of the end of my finger Marsh man, If you are the only one shoot the land yes they are good but like said you advertise the best place + there is always someone else in it when you turn up or has been the day before . 

I'm not the sole shooter but I set up knowing others can use it but in the hope that in turn they may return the favour with info, so far so good.

My son can also call in on his way home for work for an hour or so, saves him valuable time when we have to be off the land by 1830.

So far it's working out OK but it's a 10 minute job to take down if not although it's an hours job to re drive in stakes and cut vegetation to direction, pull down and tie branches without breaking etc.

If I can't have a good day, I'd rather someone else did than no one does.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

I'm not the sole shooter but I set up knowing others can use it but in the hope that in turn they may return the favour with info, so far so good.

My son can also call in on his way home for work for an hour or so, saves him valuable time when we have to be off the land by 1830.

So far it's working out OK but it's a 10 minute job to take down if not although it's an hours job to re drive in stakes and cut vegetation to direction, pull down and tie branches without breaking etc.

If I can't have a good day, I'd rather someone else did than no one does.

I can see where your coming from Centrepin and the reason why you erect a semi static hide and I am glad it work out for you and your lad , I now spend 90% of my pigeon shooting on land I have been shooting a good number of years and if any of the beaters or helpers want to go pigeon shooting then it normally left to me to sort out , we are lucky in some respects where we are not overrun with people who want to shoot pigeons and most of the land have access for tractors and motors so putting up static hides isn't really necessary , having said that we had a biggish field of Peas drilled last week , this field have got fields either side and can only be approached from one end , one advantage is a small hedge run down the middle field and stop nearly half way , this will be the odd occasion where I will put a static hide as you can decoy in all wind directions apart from the wind being head on , I have plenty of spare nets and a set of old worn out poles , for a seat I have got a old office revolving chair that I can leave there with a plastic sack over it , also a dozen cradles that I make myself out of fence wire , so on the day when I intend shooting the field all I need to take is the bare minimum which I can easily manage and if it all got nicked it wouldn't be a financial disaster .

32 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I can see where your coming from Centrepin and the reason why you erect a semi static hide and I am glad it work out for you and your lad , I now spend 90% of my pigeon shooting on land I have been shooting a good number of years and if any of the beaters or helpers want to go pigeon shooting then it normally left to me to sort out , we are lucky in some respects where we are not overrun with people who want to shoot pigeons and most of the land have access for tractors and motors so putting up static hides isn't really necessary , having said that we had a biggish field of Peas drilled last week , this field have got fields either side and can only be approached from one end , one advantage is a small hedge run down the middle field and stop nearly half way , this will be the odd occasion where I will put a static hide as you can decoy in all wind directions apart from the wind being head on , I have plenty of spare nets and a set of old worn out poles , for a seat I have got a old office revolving chair that I can leave there with a plastic sack over it , also a dozen cradles that I make myself out of fence wire , so on the day when I intend shooting the field all I need to take is the bare minimum which I can easily manage and if it all got nicked it wouldn't be a financial disaster .

My statics are made from Hazel poles and salvaged nets from skips. My son shares a yard with a skip company and they bring him anything camouflage in. I then tie wrap bits together and if lost all its cost is a few minutes work.

20210413_102159.jpg

My hide this morning, everything from a skip😁

7 hours ago, Centrepin said:

My statics are made from Hazel poles and salvaged nets from skips. My son shares a yard with a skip company and they bring him anything camouflage in. I then tie wrap bits together and if lost all its cost is a few minutes work.

20210413_102159.jpg

My hide this morning, everything from a skip😁

I love it , a man from my own heart , one job that would have suited me down to the ground , a skip cart driver , one persons rubbish is another persons treasure :lol:

On 12/04/2021 at 19:11, marsh man said:

I have to agree, I have one very small perm where there is only one location suitable, I left some pallets and an old seat as I didn't want to leave my good stuff there, but the kids got to it and set it on fire, so now I just use a couple of nets and tree branches instead of carting all the gear, I can hide them in the bushes and so far they have been untouched.

I am fortunate that on one farm that I shoot, the shooting is restricted to only two of us, so we`ve built a couple of static hides on the edge of a small wood and the odd hide out in the fields consisting of just four stakes, so we just take some netting.

However, our latest hide built out in the middle of a rape field,or where two fields converge so actually alongside a shallow dyke, consists of an upturned potato box complete with a bit of netting in front. This I have nicknamed `The Confessional Box` so the procedure now is to say three Hail Mary`s  before shooting. :yahoo:This has recently provided much needed shelter from those cold North Easterly winds and having ledges half way up is perfect for resting the coffee cup, cartridges etc. We have another `four stakes` set out on a field of barley drilling out on the marsh, but due to the closeness of footpaths and droves, shooting is somewhat restricted with only a small  safe arc of fire. Prior to lockdown, this field could be shot in most directions, but walkers seem to have dominated not only the proper footpaths, but just wandering anywhere across fields. Like others, our approach to any such trespassers is "Excuse me, are you lost ?"  

OB

37 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I am fortunate that on one farm that I shoot, the shooting is restricted to only two of us, so we`ve built a couple of static hides on the edge of a small wood and the odd hide out in the fields consisting of just four stakes, so we just take some netting.

However, our latest hide built out in the middle of a rape field,or where two fields converge so actually alongside a shallow dyke, consists of an upturned potato box complete with a bit of netting in front. This I have nicknamed `The Confessional Box` so the procedure now is to say three Hail Mary`s  before shooting. :yahoo:This has recently provided much needed shelter from those cold North Easterly winds and having ledges half way up is perfect for resting the coffee cup, cartridges etc. We have another `four stakes` set out on a field of barley drilling out on the marsh, but due to the closeness of footpaths and droves, shooting is somewhat restricted with only a small  safe arc of fire. Prior to lockdown, this field could be shot in most directions, but walkers seem to have dominated not only the proper footpaths, but just wandering anywhere across fields. Like others, our approach to any such trespassers is "Excuse me, are you lost ?"  

OB

Nice one Chris , one very important point you mentioned which is rarely brought up in a thread is , where do you put your coffee cup when you are on action stations , as we all know , if you want to encourage having a shot , all you need to do is to pour a cup of coffee / tea out of your flask and when taking the first mouth full you can normally bet a pound to a penny a pigeon will appear by magic when you have got the cup in your hand , so the question for today is where do put it ? , in my case it is quite basic , I have got square cartridge bag that I can just reach if I need to quickly put the cup down and bring my gun back into play , mind you I could do with upgrading as my arms are getting shorter , or my back don't bend as much as it once did , one cheap way I was thinking was to convert a down pipe clip onto one of my poles , their must be other CHEAP ways , so what are they ?      All the best     MM

18 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Nice one Chris , one very important point you mentioned which is rarely brought up in a thread is , where do you put your coffee cup when you are on action stations , as we all know , if you want to encourage having a shot , all you need to do is to pour a cup of coffee / tea out of your flask and when taking the first mouth full you can normally bet a pound to a penny a pigeon will appear by magic when you have got the cup in your hand , so the question for today is where do put it ? , in my case it is quite basic , I have got square cartridge bag that I can just reach if I need to quickly put the cup down and bring my gun back into play , mind you I could do with upgrading as my arms are getting shorter , or my back don't bend as much as it once did , one cheap way I was thinking was to convert a down pipe clip onto one of my poles , their must be other CHEAP ways , so what are they ?      All the best     MM

Hi John, you`re quite right, picking up a cup of coffee or a sandwich is a sure fire way of getting a pigeon to suddenly appear over the decoys. My pal Stourboy has made a couple of these gun rests that fix to the hide poles out of a bit of plastic and a 15mm pipe clip (he had the plastic, I had the pipe clips), so with a bit of encouragement, I think that I can persuade him to come up with something similar for a cup. I`ll let you know. I think that there is a proprietary little plastic table that fixes to hide poles, but like you, I much prefer to make something myself and therefore spend my well earned pension on other things :lol:

All the best OB

IMG_1232.JPG