Farmed Salmon

harrycatcat1

I follow a guy on Instagram that lives local to where it goes in and is very active in showing the facts, I’m talking dives the waters and gets video footage and photography of abandoned equipment left washed up on shorelines etc...... from what I have seen of his profile I try to avoid farmed salmon. His name is smith corin, I’m sure a quick google will bring up plenty of info for you to peruse. 

6 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

I follow a guy on Instagram that lives local to where it goes in and is very active in showing the facts, I’m talking dives the waters and gets video footage and photography of abandoned equipment left washed up on shorelines etc...... from what I have seen of his profile I try to avoid farmed salmon. His name is smith corin, I’m sure a quick google will bring up plenty of info for you to peruse. 

Years ago I was paid very well to scuba dive and remove dead fish from farms in Oban, not pleasant but I was young and the cash was good, there was good water flow through the nets because of location but they were packed tightly I must say. I've asked my local fishmonger a while ago where his comes from and he says Chile but obviously away from scrutiny out there but it looks insipid to me but he sells more of it than any other species.

There is a very interesting programme on Lough Maree on YouTube.Jeremy Paxman presents it.Not sure what it is called but if you type Lough Maree into YouTube it is one of the first videos.Shows the knock on effects of salmon farming in local seatrout populations.The same thing happened on the west coast of Ireland seatrout fisheries.

From previous reading if I recall correctly one rotation of farming dumps waste directly into the ocean that is the equivalent to 40k humans!  and sir David Attenborough has said salmon farming will be the end of wild salmon. 

8 hours ago, Eyefor said:

1Kg of fish pellets costs around 20p in bulk. 1 Kg of farmed salmon fetches.....?

I assume that pellets to feed farmed salmon are fish based mackerel and sand eels etc,  Scooping up masses of sand eels cuts off the food chain for white fish species such as cod, haddock and whiting to name a few, so its a vicious circle of depleting food supply to feed farmed salmon, open sea cages promote sea lice infestation, sea going smolts are attracted to fish pen activity , become so infected by sea lice they die, escapee  cage salmon breed with wild fish, gene pool is weakened the true wild salmon hovers on the verge of extinction.

Interesting question @Blackpowder just had to look it up, 70-75% vegetable based! 

My thoughts are that any fishy bits would be sandeel mainly, but also other small immature fish, herring, mackerel, Pollock, cod that may be swimming in the same water column. The feed companies don't specify what fish is caught and used but they do use waste (protein and oil) from fish used to feed humans which I applaud. 

10 hours ago, henry d said:

Interesting question @Blackpowder just had to look it up, 70-75% vegetable based! 

My thoughts are that any fishy bits would be sandeel mainly, but also other small immature fish, herring, mackerel, Pollock, cod that may be swimming in the same water column. The feed companies don't specify what fish is caught and used but they do use waste (protein and oil) from fish used to feed humans which I applaud. 

Thanks Henry for the correction on that.  Unfortunately there is another factor in industrial fishing by EU boats in British waters targeting sandeels which were allegedly processed into one thing oil and burned in power stations.  By catch as you say would include immature white fish species.   The end result for ports such as Eyemouth on the east coast has been the demise of the haddock fishery on which it once relied both by seine net and trawl.   Boats from here now concentrate on the fishery for norway lobsters or prawns s they are commonly called.  A skipper I spoke to recently told me  that what haddock they took as bycatch were generally thin and ill nourished.  Angling charter boat skippers recount that most of the codling caught have been bottom feeding , a rod caught codling today is more likely to be full of small crabs and squat lobster rather than coughing up masses of sandeels as was once the case.

Blackpowder

I had heard the one thing driving the fish farms around Scotland and Norway was the Chinese demand for Scottish Atlantic salmon. Same with their upper classes demand for whisky. There's no way wee krankie will want to get rid of them with the amount of money she's bound to make from them. I think as they are out in the sea they can still market them as wild salmon to the Asian market

1. The MSC benchmark so beloved of supermarkets is an expensive cartel created by the same supermarkets to whitewash the low standards it approves.  It’s too expensive for smaller (sustainable) fish processors to join, thereby damaging the smaller end of the fishing industry. 
2. The Chinese & Koreans own a sizeable chunk of the UK fishing industry - the large processors in Grimsby, for example. 
3. The Chinese will kill everything they touch. In this case by overfishing. 
4. Once the proper fish run out, they will sell the grim-looking muck that makes up “crab” stix, etc, moulded to look like fish. And them move on to wreck something else. 
It’s obvious to everybody in the fresh food business and the supermarkets just don’t care. The vac-pack frozen fish you buy on the cheap is another nail in the UK fishing industry. Buy fresh from a proper fishmonger. Ask where they buy the fish. Bllingsgate does not mean good - it means foreign and frozen. 

1 hour ago, Flashman said:

1. The MSC benchmark so beloved of supermarkets is an expensive cartel created by the same supermarkets to whitewash the low standards it approves.  It’s too expensive for smaller (sustainable) fish processors to join, thereby damaging the smaller end of the fishing industry. 
2. The Chinese & Koreans own a sizeable chunk of the UK fishing industry - the large processors in Grimsby, for example. 
3. The Chinese will kill everything they touch. In this case by overfishing. 
4. Once the proper fish run out, they will sell the grim-looking muck that makes up “crab” stix, etc, moulded to look like fish. And them move on to wreck something else. 
It’s obvious to everybody in the fresh food business and the supermarkets just don’t care. The vac-pack frozen fish you buy on the cheap is another nail in the UK fishing industry. Buy fresh from a proper fishmonger. Ask where they buy the fish. Bllingsgate does not mean good - it means foreign and frozen. 

Well said !  

If possible buy fresh fish from a fisherman or fishmonger that can trace the provenance

I had a friend who was fishing near  to a salmon farm and was catching haddock, when he took them home and cleaned them he found that the flesh was pink (salmon pink) they had obviously been feeding on the waste food that fell through the bottom of the cages.

There are plenty of West coast rivers that were once full of Salmon and Seatrout in the 70's and now completely screwed because of fish farms.

On one of my favorite rivers the Ruel you could see 200 to 300 seatrout and Salmon in some of the pools it was heaving with fish, then they put a Salmon farm at the mouth of it now it is devoid of fish, its worthless now.

On 13/04/2021 at 19:04, harrycatcat1 said:

What's the truth about farmed Salmon?

Some folk say don't touch it because of the conditions they are kept yet M & S have just been on telly saying how good it is and how much space they have.

What is your opinion?

The truth is the M&S food adverts are very misleading and anyone with half a brain would know this! I rest my case 🤑