Dacia Duster

steve_b_wales

Looking for good honest opinions on the above vehicle. If I were to buy one, it would be used 95% on road and 5% offroad (dirt tracks etc) I currently use a Freelander 2 TD4 which I bought new in 2008. I've just spent £900 on it, getting a full service, new discs/shoes all round and a new front suspension coil spring (I changed the other one two years ago)

Is it the 4 wheel drive you want or is it the extra ground clearance for puddles etc? Ive driven my 2 wheel drive nissan qashqai on some dirt tracks with little bother. The dacia share similar engines to the qashqai. Ground clearance and decent tyres can make more of a difference than 4wheel drive when it comes to farm tracks

Hello, I have a duster 4x4 diesel, owned appx 4 years. It does what it says on the tin. Plenty of room for dog box, guns , boots rods etc . 45ish mpg. No faults this far. Cheap enough to run in comparison to Freelander etc. Pulls small trailer ok and good general performance off road, around fields, farm tracks etc . Low enough price that I don't start crying if it gets scratched or whatever. Not the comfiest for long distance motorway etc, and not the best equipment interior, but that is not why I have it. Happy with car and will buy another if I ever need to. Regards 

Ps. It is not a range rover or trooper etc ... But it doesn't claim to be!

I haven't got one nor had one but have just been down the long twisty road of which 4x4 to buy and your requirements are nearly the same as mine. The Duster was high on my list, along with Kia Sorento and Hyundai Santa fe ( bigger buses than the popular Sportage and Tuscan ). I eventually went for a MKII CRV petrol/auto as like them better than the MKIII and it nails everything apart from a little thirsty @ 27mpg but it is shear luxury if you were to compare to  Dacia,Kia,Hyundai and has been over farmland and down tracks without any problems so far.

I would also add to buy a nice one privately and pay for the decent vehicle checks available, follow the simple Government guidelines to buying privately and you will save yourself a couple of grand to spend on tyres/catridges/gin etc

I know it doesn't answer your question directly but I spent a lot of time during lockdown as there wasn't much else to do researching the topic so hope it helps; good luck and let us know what you end up with if you remember since life has again got busy.

7 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Do they cost £500 a year in road tax for the 4x4 diesel ?

Hello, mine is I think 1300 cc and costs over £250, 

7 hours ago, mgsontour said:

I haven't got one nor had one but have just been down the long twisty road of which 4x4 to buy and your requirements are nearly the same as mine. The Duster was high on my list, along with Kia Sorento and Hyundai Santa fe ( bigger buses than the popular Sportage and Tuscan ). I eventually went for a MKII CRV petrol/auto as like them better than the MKIII and it nails everything apart from a little thirsty @ 27mpg but it is shear luxury if you were to compare to  Dacia,Kia,Hyundai and has been over farmland and down tracks without any problems so far.

I would also add to buy a nice one privately and pay for the decent vehicle checks available, follow the simple Government guidelines to buying privately and you will save yourself a couple of grand to spend on tyres/catridges/gin etc

I know it doesn't answer your question directly but I spent a lot of time during lockdown as there wasn't much else to do researching the topic so hope it helps; good luck and let us know what you end up with if you remember since life has again got busy.

Hello, I have been looking for over a year for a nice tidy Dacia 4x4 to no avail, all the ones I see have 100,000 plus miles and still want ££ss , very few selling private, 

18 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, mine is I think 1300 cc and costs over £250, 

Hello, I have been looking for over a year for a nice tidy Dacia 4x4 to no avail, all the ones I see have 100,000 plus miles and still want ££ss , very few selling private, 

Hello again, my duster is a 1.5 (1461)diesel 4x4 ( wasn't aware there is a 1.3 4x4 diesel) and the tax is definitely £ 125 per year. C02 Emissions 125. Newer models must be different. Regards

3 hours ago, benbobailey said:

Hello again, my duster is a 1.5 (1461)diesel 4x4 ( wasn't aware there is a 1.3 4x4 diesel) and the tax is definitely £ 125 per year. C02 Emissions 125. Newer models must be different. Regards

Hello. sorry I meant my Dihatsu, will keep looking for a nice duster 👍

I bought a Duster 4WD in mid Feb, to use primarily as an off road shooting run around vehicle.

I have kept my 19 plate VW Tiguan for most of my road use and longer journeys.

I looked pretty hard into what was available, and ended up with an 18 plate 1.5 diesel Laureate with 35k on the clock.

I believe they only do the 4WD version in a 1.5 diesel engine with a manual gearbox?

I discovered that there were actually very few 4WD models on the market, I reckon that for every 25 Dusters that you see on Autotrader or other dealer websites, probably only one will be a 4WD version, so if you're going to buy through a Dealer, do check that it is actually a 4WD, as a lot of them just state that it's a 4 x 4, when in fact it's a 2WD.

Also, avoid the earlier models, (pre 2015), that were made in India and have developed major rust problems, (so I'm told).

Later models were made in Romania using a lot of Renault components, as the Company had been bought by Renault.

The factory fitted tyres were Michelin Cross Contacts, which are a pretty good M+S tyre, but I took them off, sold them on ebay and fitted a set of Yokohama Geolanders from Asda Tyres at £78 each fitted.

My initial impressions are that it is an excellent vehicle for off road use, the back seats fold down flat very easily, and I can get all of my gear in there with ease.

Road tax is £150 per year, and I'm getting 37mpg out of it, this is mainly all short journeys, and has been measured properly by actual tank fills, not the on board computer, which never give the true MPG.

The sound system is pretty basic and it doesn't have reversing sensors, so I have to be extra careful, having had sensors on all of my cars over the last few years.!

Having said that, it will certainly get to a lot of places I wouldn't try getting to in the Tiguan, so I'm well pleased with it.

Cat.😎

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'm still looking around to be honest. I've been advised to keep my Freelander TD4 for at least another year, especially after having just spent the best part of a grand on it. 

Hello steve, I am the same with my dihatsu, 2 tyres and service it will go a few more years, but I keep thinking about a nice Dacia Duster but have found even those with 100, 000 on clock want silly money and I phoned about 2 today, £6,000  with 50, 000 on clock but only 30 days warranty, in Luton, one in Stourbridge £6,000, 1 owner FSH 14,000 on clock, 30 days warranty, !!!!!, 🤔

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

6 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello steve, I am the same with my dihatsu, 2 tyres and service it will go a few more years, but I keep thinking about a nice Dacia Duster but have found even those with 100, 000 on clock want silly money and I phoned about 2 today, £6,000  with 50, 000 on clock but only 30 days warranty, in Luton, one in Stourbridge £6,000, 1 owner FSH 14,000 on clock, 30 days warranty, !!!!!, 🤔

PCP may be the way to go.

41 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

???

Personal Contract Purchase. Basically, like hire purchase. Get the vehicle, pay monthly and at the end of the term, either pay the balance, hand the vehicle back and walk away, or trade it in for another one. A lot of my friends are doing this, as the monthly payments are usually less than on HP.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

What year/s are you looking for?

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

Personal Contract Purchase. Basically, like hire purchase. Get the vehicle, pay monthly and at the end of the term, either pay the balance, hand the vehicle back and walk away, or trade it in for another one. A lot of my friends are doing this, as the monthly payments are usually less than on HP.

Hello, thanks for that, something I did not know about so will check out,