one step closer to the end of common sense

243deer

On 14/04/2021 at 16:48, ehb102 said:

Whenever you see gender it's obfuscation. Replace it with sex or "biological sex" if you must. Gender neutral is fine for objects but where people are concerned it's mixed sex. No to mixed sex contact sports. No to mixed sex changing rooms. No to mixed sex toilets. No to mixed sex hospital wards. No to mixed sex dormitories. We still need safeguarding.

Equal opportunity, equal treatment, equal rights, equal pay etc. etc etc., across all sectors of society and all minorities - no matter how small - is the way we live today. Anyone who feels so inclined can invent a bonkers new minority, publicise it on social media and bingo, anyone who doesn't cooperate is potentially a criminal. 

Unfortunately there's a price to pay in that it leads to social instability and inter group friction on a scale never seen before. Life was so much more balanced when different cultural, ethnic or gender groups accepted the fundamental rules of the culture they lived in and didn't expend energy trying get society to be reshaped just to suit them.

As for personal safety, it was simple when I was young and living in London; if you wanted to get home intact and with all your possessions there were areas that you just didn't go to on your own, particularly after dark. Years later the same was true for parts of Glasgow and having spent time in Detroit, Boston & Baltimore I can attest that they all have areas much more dangerous than either London or Glasgow! And the reality is that men, especially young men are vastly more likely to become victims of street or away from home violence than women and at least twice as likely to be murdered.

To my knowledge, there has never been a time when it was 100% safe for women to walk alone at night but even so, what happened to Sarah Everard is incredibly rare. By far the most likely situation for women to suffer violence, whether physical, sexual or both, is in their own home and inflicted by someone they know. 

No one can "safeguard" women and for that matter, no one can safeguard men. I believe it's up to the individual to be sensible and, as far as possible, avoid risky circumstances and situations. Safeguard yourself in other words.