Sore finger ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

Shot my Browning xs pro sport  today and the forend took some skin off my middle finger. I've had about 21 shotguns and been

shooting since 1981 and its never happened before. I put a glove on for the 3rd round and all was ok. Any ideas what could

cause this. Apart from rough chequering. I have only shot the gun about 5 times but always had gloves on.

Thanks all.

I would say it’s definitely the chequering, I’m not 100% sure but I think a lot of chequering is now done by laser engraving, it leaves a much sharper point/edge on it than if it was done the traditional way.  I’m sure someone far more experienced will confirm or debunk what I’m saying, they will likely be able to offer advice on how to rectify it too. 👍🏻

On 14/04/2021 at 15:25, Spr1985 said:

I would say it’s definitely the chequering, I’m not 100% sure but I think a lot of chequering is now done by laser engraving, it leaves a much sharper point/edge on it than if it was done the traditional way.  I’m sure someone far more experienced will confirm or debunk what I’m saying, they will likely be able to offer advice on how to rectify it too. 👍🏻

Definitely this. 

And big girls blouse hands 😘😂

Give up lads, give the chap a chance.  Try putting a couple of turns of electric tape around the area where your finger touches the stock and see if that stops it, then you can decide if to leave the tape there or just check the roughness/sharp edges and ease them down with some wire wool. I take it this is not due to the trigger guard hitting the finger, if it is then that is a totally different problem.Hope you sort it because thinking about such can make shooting less pleasant and succesful.

I have the ultra X's pro and suffer the same problem. I either use a light weight glove or I wrap a couple of fingers in that stretchy fabric tape, you see being applied to rugby players on the pitch. Don't remember what it is called but something is saying horse bandage.

Had a similar experience on my 725 bust the original foreend being a rough ****. My gun man fitted me a fresh forend ! And ended up with blister and blood on a couple of fingers ! Next few outing shooting gloves an plasters on the contact areas. Now just use a Mac wet glove on forend hand !

Agriv8

When I had the K80 I had a callous on inside of my middle finger where it sat on the forend checkering, always wore macwets too. 

You could use a glove or lightly sand the checkering to take the sharpness off its points 

Edited by figgy

My pal gave me two left handed golf gloves so that will do for me. The chequering might smooth out a bit

over time as i don't really want to rub anything down. So i'll see how it goes. Wore gloves on Sunday at

the shoot and had no problem.