Ian Coleys - Gloucs

Cosmicblue

Have been going to Ian Coley's ground for some years, paid a visit today, 1st time after lockdown,  and shot the ESP layout - excellent with a wide variety of good quality targets albeit at 40pence a pop.

Was disappointed to find that the ability to buy a snack or grab a coffee has gone, replaced by racks of clothing.  Obviously drinks etc would have to be consumed outside under the current Covid rules however the changes are permanent.  After a 1.5hr drive to get there expecting to be able to buy a coffee isn't unreasonable - hospitality has long been a cornerstone of top notch grounds.  

5 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Still 24p where I do most of my shooting (cpsa premier ground) 

Looks like some parts of this fair Isle must shoot at a different type of clay rather than the standard corsivia and such like. 

I imagine some grounds cost more to buy/lease the land, and the type of setup they have.

There is no doubt that Coley's is a posh ground. Plenty of flash cars parked up as you pull in. 

It's a nicd day out but just as much fun shooting some of the smaller ground. Dragon clay sports in Bridgend have a nice little setup for the small amount of ground they have. 

42 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What does it cost where you are? 

Between .28p & .38p depending on ground.

53 minutes ago, Scully said:

Wow! 40p per bird! That would cut down our usual 200 birds each! 🙂

Ouch, that's a £200 day just for clays when I shoot with my son. 1 slab each + carts + travel + food.🤢

I thought .30p was steep.

3 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Between .28p & .38p depending on ground.

Ouch, that's a £200 day just for clays when I shoot with my son. 1 slab each + carts + travel + food.🤢

I thought .30p was steep.

Yeah, we can get through a 100 quid each easily on a day out, at 200 shots apiece, all things considered as your post above. Crabtree and Westlands are both 27p, with the latter being 25p if you’re staying there. 
I believe Marne is cheaper if you’re a member. 

It is pretty extortionate although there are 20-odd stands to choose from, offering every shot in the book. The only reason I can justify going there is if I’m practicing alone. Using claymate you can set a 3 second delay on the button which is great if you shoot mid week by yourself.

Edited by MrPhantom

17 minutes ago, MrPhantom said:

It is pretty extortionate although there are 20-odd stands to choose from, offering every shot in the book. The only reason I can justify going there is if I’m practicing alone. Using claymate you can set a 3 second delay on the button which is great if you shoot mid week by yourself.

There are over 20 at Westlands, plus the DTL, Skeet and Sportrap layouts, but I think the revenue from the lodges, restaurant etc possibly helps keep prices reasonable. 

20 minutes ago, MrPhantom said:

Mr Phantom,

Plenty of grounds, in fact most big grounds do that. 

People can speculate why charges are so high and often come up with mitigating reasons based on no evidence whatsoever. The reason they do this is because deep down they have that nagging feeling they are getting ripped off ,but feel the need to justify why it's happening.

In my mind there is usually only one basic reason some grounds charge so much, they can get away with it ,because people are daft enough to pay it.

7 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Mr Phantom,

People can speculate why charges are so high and often come up with mitigating reasons based on no evidence whatsoever. The reason they do this is because deep down they have that nagging feeling they are getting ripped off ,but feel the need to justify why it's happening.

In my mind there is usually only one basic reason some grounds charge so much, they can get away with it ,because people are daft enough to pay it.

Yes you are quite possibly right about larger grounds using Claymate. The 4 other clubs where I shoot local to me certainly don’t though. To me on the odd occasion it is worth an extra 10p a shot.

Yes I like Coley's, and back in the days when were allowed to do things, if I was passing by I'd stop in and have a look round the shop.

But I certainly couldn't afford to shoot there 😁

In all seriousness though, they have do have the advantage of being a gunshop with an attached clay ground, and they will let you put a few test shots through anything they have in secondhand.  I tried a couple of guns there before I bought my first shottie.

15 hours ago, Scully said:

There are over 20 at Westlands, plus the DTL, Skeet and Sportrap layouts, but I think the revenue from the lodges, restaurant etc possibly helps keep prices reasonable. 

Well you will be allowed over the Border when they open. I am looking forward to seeing the new shop!

16 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Mr Phantom,

I’ve never felt ripped off when I have shot there. Although no one has ever forced me to go. 

There are plenty of slightly cheaper grounds to go and shoot at. I have enjoyed it there on the odd occasion. 

I certainly won’t be shooting there every week, or any ground for that matter. 

A morning/afternoon out shooting clays costs £43.50 (I normally shoot 25 skeet and 50 sporting) and this includes cartridges, down at Mendip shooting ground. 

I try not to do it too much as if I did that once a week it’s £174 a month!! Soon adds up eh. £2,088 a year. That’s before you account for travel, food, drink, diesel. 

Boggles my mind that some people will be out shooting clays 3-4 days a week or more 😳

I think you hit the nail on the head however with the fact that they charge those prices, quite simply, because they can. 

Obviously the people in that area (and it’s a nice area) can afford to pay it and they do otherwise the ground wouldn’t be making any money. 

8 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head however with the fact that they charge those prices, quite simply, because they can. 

Obviously the people in that area (and it’s a nice area) can afford to pay it and they do otherwise the ground wouldn’t be making any money. 

Indeed.  I suspect having the ground open to members of the public isn't actually their primary income stream, and the high clay price keeps away the riff-raff.

Forgot to mention that their open day is (or used to be) worth going to if you're vaguely local.  You can talk to various gun importers/manufacturers, and it's far more relaxed atmosphere than a big show.

17 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Indeed.  I suspect having the ground open to members of the public isn't actually their primary income stream, and the high clay price keeps away the riff-raff.

Forgot to mention that their open day is (or used to be) worth going to if you're vaguely local.  You can talk to various gun importers/manufacturers, and it's far more relaxed atmosphere than a big show.

Its SGC holders only. You can’t even take a non SGC holding guest.