Ian Coleys - Gloucs

Cosmicblue

On 15/04/2021 at 13:45, Lloyd90 said:

I try not to do it too much as if I did that once a week it’s £174 a month!! Soon adds up eh. £2,088 a year. That’s before you account for travel, food, drink, diesel. 
Obviously the people in that area (and it’s a nice area) can afford to pay it and they do otherwise the ground wouldn’t be making any money. 

I absolutely agree with your post.

I used to live just down the road, Cartoontown (Carterton) in the Married patch for Brize Norton, my house was an absolute pit and the entire estates were a dilapidated dive. I couldn’t afford to shoot there when I lived just down the road.

Clay shooting is extremely expensive which is why I bang the drum for the cheaper shotgun makers, gets more people into our sport. My pal and I have rented a big field and bought 2 traps, which we shoot every other weekend. The money we make from the hay pays the yearly rent and it reduces our costs considerably. £8.50 per box, 150 in a box, no brainier really.

On 14/04/2021 at 19:52, TRINITY said:

Still 24p where I do most of my shooting (cpsa premier ground) 

Looks like some parts of this fair Isle must shoot at a different type of clay rather than the standard corsivia and such like. 

Where's that then? Good price and must be decent to be premier status.i shoot kelbrook pretty frequently and that is a good price too.even for non members

I live in the West Midlands and have shot quite a few grounds within 75 mile radius of Birmingham which includes Coleys

As a general rule the further south / south east I have been the price per clay increases.  By contrast the further north I have traveled the price per clay decreases.

I have shot at CPSA Premier Grounds to Sunday Club shoots and between 30p to 32p / clay is now average for the ground I visit.

With the latest increase in cartridge prices the price of a round of clays is only going one way.

On 18/04/2021 at 18:24, Taileron said:

I used to live just down the road, Cartoontown (Carterton) in the Married patch for Brize Norton, my house was an absolute pit and the entire estates were a dilapidated dive. I couldn’t afford to shoot there when I lived just down the road.

didn't it use to be embarrassing when it was on the news and you see where you lived!! Duxford Close (flats - now gone) and then Abingdon Road on the front to Brize Norton Road - 1995-98 - TCW. We bought our first house then down by the back gate - Lancaster Place - and lived there for a further 6 years before moving back up north.

I was there 91-92 as well at Bampton Castle but I was living in a block right next to the runway where everything rattled when a plane took off - especially the old tankers or Tri-Star.

1997, when I was in the Army and posted down to the Falklands, I had someone tell me to get off the bus at the wrong place - right up by the high school so I had to lug all my gear down to the back gate. I remember thinking what a dump - and ended up buying our first house there - funny what life throws at you

6 hours ago, discobob said:

didn't it use to be embarrassing when it was on the news and you see where you lived!! Duxford Close (flats - now gone) and then Abingdon Road 

I lived in Abingdon Road, what an utter dive it was/still is. It was lovely to go upstairs and see the holes in the ceiling in made by rats, the leaking windows, no showers and brown water from the cold water taps. Always makes me Chuckle that civvies think we get the houses for free/abated rates not realising that we are paying the market rate to live in a hovel. The patch at BZN is an embarrassment to the service and should have been demolished 20 years ago.

Before I left David Cameroon visited ( he was pm at the time ) to open the new play park paid for by the benevolent fund, he was in his full speech/bu#####t mode and told the gaggle of wives that they should be grateful for where they lived......about 0.0001 seconds later his CP team had to bundle him into his vehicle as they went ballistic and were baying for blood. We had a good laugh that day.

3 hours ago, Taileron said:

I lived in Abingdon Road, what an utter dive it was/still is. It was lovely to go upstairs and see the holes in the ceiling in made by rats, the leaking windows, no showers and brown water from the cold water taps. Always makes me Chuckle that civvies think we get the houses for free/abated rates not realising that we are paying the market rate to live in a hovel. The patch at BZN is an embarrassment to the service and should have been demolished 20 years ago.

Before I left David Cameroon visited ( he was pm at the time ) to open the new play park paid for by the benevolent fund, he was in his full speech/bu#####t mode and told the gaggle of wives that they should be grateful for where they lived......about 0.0001 seconds later his CP team had to bundle him into his vehicle as they went ballistic and were baying for blood. We had a good laugh that day.

I met Mr C shortly after he became MP at his surgery in the town hall! Our house was the 2nd from the left of 4 or 5 that faced onto Brize Norton Rd. I do have to say that in a lot of ways we preferred the flat at Duxford - it seemed a whole lot spacious and good neighbours but we moved to a house because we had a dog that we brought back from Cyprus (back then it was quarantine for 6 months). Quarters really went down hill after they handed it over to a civvie company to run it all. Fun fact I actually done a contract for the MOD Housing (DHE) at Amey - I was responsible for a complete restructure of the database!!

I do miss the area though.

I spent 3.5 years in Swindon, Corsham and Bristol on a contract doing the Cyber Defence System for the MOD - The amount of people I bumped into, from both the Army and RAF was spooky.

First week on that job I bumped into a guy I shared an apartment with in Cyprus - he married my wife's mate as we both met them when they were on Holiday. Hadn't seen or heard anything off them for well over 10 years. He was on the client team and still serving. 

I did go back to Carterton a few times to see old friends etc..