Tuesday Afternoon

JTaylor91

On Monday afternoon I got a message from JDog telling me he had some pigeons and although I may not have pork pies due to late notice, would I like to join him tomorrow. Of course I did.

Tuesday afternoon I stocked up on pastries and piccalilli from the local butcher and headed off to The Wolds.

We met at 3pm and headed over to scout the field, there was a flight line across the field crossing by a line of telegraph poles. JDog put out a sign to keep walkers to the footpath instead of walking down the side of the field we would be shooting. I headed up to the top of the field to put some sticks with streamers on to stop any birds settling in the corner, around 200 birds lifted from the corner of the field in the process.

We set up on a telegraph pole each with a rotary in the middle of us. I sat in the hide looking at the rotary between us thinking that looks far away and these birds weren’t going to be the typical decoying to a pattern birds. 

For the next few hours we had a good steady stream of birds that were testing. JDog on usual fine form with brilliant and consistent shooting. Thankfully I was holding my own and had some of the most memorable birds I’ve ever had. None were truly decoying but coming in for a look before flying on. Not many birds were under 40 yards, the majority of which being crossers with some being out around 50-60 yards. At one point a pheasant flew from the rape, JDog jumped up shouting “get out of here you bloody thing!” I thought he’s completely lost it, it’s only a pheasant. Turns out it was a walkers dog I couldn’t see that had charged through the rape towards the rotary that had put the pheasant up. It was the dog he was shouting at.
We packed up at 6pm so a good 2 and half hours.

Another cracking day as usual. 24 picked with 4 lost.

In the picture you can just see the  arm of the rotary.

F8E7EE0D-EB74-470D-98A2-4AD5484ECD02.jpeg

9 minutes ago, JDog said:

This was a good session.

JT91 is always complimentary about my shooting (probably reasoning that by doing so he will get more invitations), but he was the star on Tuesday, shooting some very long birds and killing them. 

It was a very good session. It’s the pies that I hope get me the invitations.