Homework

harrycatcat1

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I think I've got you there, did you never use trig?

Basic math and trig is about all I ever use.

Bang on, it's good to make the grey matter work, but I'm very glad my mrs is a lot smarter than me 😄

Now that’s dangerous, having a mrs who is smarter than you!

4 hours ago, Ricko said:

In terms of 'when will I ever use this', I tend to explain that learning Mathematics helps develops different aspects of the brain: reasoning, logic, problem solving, acceptance of new ideas etc.

The maths subject content has hardly changed in the almost thirty years I've been teaching it.

I always tell pupils that they'll get a genuine 20th century education from me at no extra cost!

Guess who I will be calling when my 10 year old granddaughter has maths homework 🙃 🤪 🙂 

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Now that’s dangerous, having a mrs who is smarter than you!

Only in the areas that matter 😅😅

29 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

its even more dangerous when she finds out 

It's never been a secret,  but she has her moments 😄😄

She worked out the math straight away,  then we had my daughter do it, I'd say it was badly written out  they should have given say 7n + 2 = 9, and the second in the sequence 7n + 2 = 16 it makes it much easier to understand which is the important part. 

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

I think I've got you there, did you never use trig?

Basic math and trig is about all I ever use.

Bang on, it's good to make the grey matter work, but I'm very glad my mrs is a lot smarter than me 😄

Not knowingly. Just put the numbers in to make the cuts before running it through at 200m or so a minute unless mdf as that was about 50m a minute max.  if they were good make a note of them for when I ran the profile in that size again for minimal waste. 

There was a formula for getting the height right to the thickness when using a new set of blocks that was meant to save time but in reality you didn't need it and it wasnt 100% due to a few variables. 

Don't miss that job. Setting up was as exciting as it got, you'd then run miles and miles of a profile, sometimes for a couple of days. Boredom was horrific. 

Every now and then someone wouldn't set up right and weld the blocks onto the axel and mayhem would ensue. Or if machine wood from Russia you'd have to watch thr product as it seems soke forests were there for the army to machine gun trees. That would smash the blocks and bandsaws to pieces. The cnc flat bed saw wouldn't care about little things like bullets and was a scary bit of kit to watch it rip through 2-500 mm of mdf in a single 5m pass. 

8 hours ago, Ricko said:

In terms of 'when will I ever use this', I tend to explain that learning Mathematics helps develops different aspects of the brain: reasoning, logic, problem solving, acceptance of new ideas etc.

The maths subject content has hardly changed in the almost thirty years I've been teaching it.

I always tell pupils that they'll get a genuine 20th century education from me at no extra cost!

Absolutely. Maths underpins everything in the real / natural world as well as the virtual world too and what a journey of discovery it can be too.