Jump to content

Rabbit question ???.


Recommended Posts

Hi gang.

               I gave a pal a fresh rabbit i shot on tuesday and he started to boil it and the water turned orange. He said the meat had an orange tinge to it too. 

               He tried a taste of it and said it was ok but binned the rest of it. Any idea what could cause this.

                                                                                                                                                           Thanks all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, never heard of that before, try Google some info, I would not boil cook it , it makes the meat bland , it's most white meat with a bit of yellow fat, gut and clean and slow cooker with pots and veg, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

I would not boil cook it , it makes the meat bland , it's most white meat with a bit of yellow fat, gut and clean and slow cooker with pots and veg, 

Absolutely, and the gravy is to die for the way my wife used to do it.

I also have several bags of diced rabbit in the freezer for slow cooking or when we haven't a fresh one.

Never go to waste, but I have a chef "friend" who can only cook them stringy and argues they have no value.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Absolutely, and the gravy is to die for the way my wife used to do it.

I also have several bags of diced rabbit in the freezer for slow cooking or when we haven't a fresh one.

Never go to waste, but I have a chef "friend" who can only cook them stringy and argues they have no value.

 

Hello, remind him that rabbit was part of 1000s of people's diet during WW2 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, remind him that rabbit was part of 1000s of people's diet during WW2 

My father in law was telling me of times during the 1980s where they would have went without meat if it wasn't for having the gun at home and access to land with rabbits/pigeons. Think rabbit was one of the first meats my wife ate...not that she would really eat it now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rob85 said:

My father in law was telling me of times during the 1980s where they would have went without meat if it wasn't for having the gun at home and access to land with rabbits/pigeons. Think rabbit was one of the first meats my wife ate...not that she would really eat it now.

Hello, yes with all the turmoil of the 1980s and lay offs leaving many families with little money we had rabbit, pigeon, and pheasant , and turkey at Christmas as the farm my friend worked on use to sell, a few went missing 🤔😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, remind him that rabbit was part of 1000s of people's diet during WW2 

I'm afraid Chefs have set ideas and can't always think beyond what they do every day.

My wife used to supply fish to the restaurant trade and the amount of named chefs that haven't a clue about "normal" cooking long since failed to amaze her.

I firmly believe cooking starts in grandma's kitchen with passed down recipes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

boiling a rabbit. :no:

The only time a rabbit should be cooked in water is when you are making rabbit stew, before I cook rabbit I joint it, fill a bowl with water and add a couple of table spoons of lemon juice and salt, the rabbit is left over night to remove any taints from the meat, it also helps tenderise the meat.

Water turning orange? I presume he did gut the rabbit before cooking.:whistling:

Link to post
Share on other sites

boiling that is rank............the only rabbit i eat now are young fryers....quatered up rolled i9n herbs and flour and gently fried in a butter oil mix..................i have lost the taste for stewed rabbit now...

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, remind him that rabbit was part of 1000s of people's diet during WW2 

We used to sell 20-25 in the skin from our milk van every Friday without fail. That was back in the late 40s and early 50s.  All snared.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

We used to sell 20-25 in the skin from our milk van every Friday without fail. That was back in the late 40s and early 50s.  All snared.

Hello, you cannot give them away these days, I use to get a florin for mine down the local pub using my trusty 410 double hammer gun costing £6 🤔😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Modern world I'm afraid with everything you need in the stores.  I remember my mother coning back from Altons the general store in Tamworth, " Mum! Mum!! I managed to get a half pound of currants for the Christmas cake".  That's all she could get on the ration allowance back then.  Just purchased some baggetts from our local shop.  Checked the label and shock horror they are made in France and shipped here.  Don't we have any British bakers these days and why France. Will not be buying anymore of those.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Modern world I'm afraid with everything you need in the stores.  I remember my mother coning back from Altons the general store in Tamworth, " Mum! Mum!! I managed to get a half pound of currants for the Christmas cake".  That's all she could get on the ration allowance back then.  Just purchased some baggetts from our local shop.  Checked the label and shock horror they are made in France and shipped here.  Don't we have any British bakers these days and why France. Will not be buying anymore of those.

 

apparently.........baggettes are to be given the same status as stilton etc...............on the report i listened to...several large and small bakeries are getting geared up to make baggettes in this country now..........

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/04/2021 at 07:57, Centrepin said:

 

but I have a chef "friend" who can only cook them stringy and argues they have no value.

 

He has no idea how good rabbit can be, my Wife makes a rabbit pie with a rich reduced red wine sauce if your mate tasted it he would soon change his mind.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...