Barrel pitting

Hicky

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Moons ago I went to buy an A35 van. When I got down to look at the sills I found they were made from folded newspaper, tucked into the big holes and shaped like the sill then painted to match the van.

A35 van bloody awful looking things...........

17 minutes ago, London Best said:

To be honest I always quite liked the shape.

And it was only a stopgap for four weeks between a Mini Cooper and a Frogeye Sprite.

ive got to come clean now............i have to admit to a ford anglia van with a musty mattress in the back.....i used to pull more birds in that than my mate in his TR6...:lol:

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

ive got to come clean now............i have to admit to a ford anglia van with a musty mattress in the back.....i used to pull more birds in that than my mate in his TR6...

It all depends on the birds.........I’ve got a mate that’s had more women than James Bond, but not so good looking!

1 minute ago, London Best said:

It all depends on the birds.........I’ve got a mate that’s had more women than James Bond, but not so good looking!

i soon found out ...women prefer to be comfortable....whilst induldging in the reproductive act ...........rather than straddling a gearbox...with a loose gearstick hovering dangerously near their anus............

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i got digressed.........it wont happen again................back to barrell pitting now

Now we’re back on track 

over the years iv fired and had many guns with Pitted barrels 

what I did dosent make them safe there’s nothing stopping you using them until something goes wrong and a barrel bursts 

the main problem is modern cartridges and old guns it’s not a good combination 

46 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

over the years iv fired and had many guns with Pitted barrels

I have as well (and still have).  They have all been given the 'OK' but a proper gunsmith and are in proof. 

I'd be interested to know what the level of actual 'barrel failure' occurrences (rather than fails to get renewed proof) is due (or considered likely due) to pitting?

Of the various barrel failures I've heard about, either obstruction or completely unsuited ammunition has been the usual cause I think (as far as I can remember).  My father had a burst years ago due to obstruction, and I know of one instance of fail due to wad left in barrel.  (I've had wad left behind myself, but it was very noticeable and was cleared out with a cleaning rod before re-loading).

I'm guessing that barrel failure due to pitting alone is not common?

I'd avoid anything with very much pitting for various reasons, but having briefly owned a well-balanced old English BLE many years ago which had a fair bit of pitting, my chief problem was cleaning it.

Because of the pitting, it was impossible to get it properly clean, I never got to the stage where the kitchen roll came out acceptably clean. I then had the worry of the pits getting worse through corrosion. Since then I've been reluctant to own anything with very much pitting - especially when you can keep looking & find something with clean bores.