On Board Sat Nav

wymberley

Mine has now started to go where it wants, not where I want. Figured that even if I could find someone able to fix it it would cost more than the TomTom which I've just ordered and which will not have 8 year old maps and which cost nothing to update - for a while at least - and performs better.

Does anyone have a Go Essential 6" and who can recommend a good dash mount - or is the package item good for this?

Many thanks.

EDIT: Removed the vehicle model from the title as this added nothing to the question and could have been taken as relevant.

1 hour ago, Revo said:

Have you tried disconnecting the battery and reboot the system.

Cheers :good: 

Good point for several reasons. Sadly, the state of my body means that I'd have to get someone else to do the work. Also, the in-car system is heads down and the maps are dated. Being quite deaf, having the map up close and personal to quickly check that you haven't mis-heard the directions is both easier and safer. And I have to spend my war pension on something! :whistling:

One issue to bear in mind is the sound side.  I am also a bit hard of hearing.  It mean that I can hear the inbuilt satnav pretty well - because it mutes the radio/CD player, and plays the directions over the car's main speakers - and you can set the volume independently.

If you are using a separate 3rd party satnav, you need to be able to connect in via bluetooth or an alternative (wired?) or hear the directions from the satnav units own speaker.   My hearing really struggles with that on occasions. 

I tend to use the inbuilt in my main car (which has it) despite it being a bit old - few roads where I go have changed - and the phone (either Google Maps of Apple Maps) in my Defender with bluetooth into the radio/stereo.  Note that the noise levels in the Defender don't make for good results!

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

One issue to bear in mind is the sound side.  I am also a bit hard of hearing.  It mean that I can hear the inbuilt satnav pretty well - because it mutes the radio/CD player, and plays the directions over the car's main speakers - and you can set the volume independently.

If you are using a separate 3rd party satnav, you need to be able to connect in via bluetooth or an alternative (wired?) or hear the directions from the satnav units own speaker.   My hearing really struggles with that on occasions. 

I tend to use the inbuilt in my main car (which has it) despite it being a bit old - few roads where I go have changed - and the phone (either Google Maps of Apple Maps) in my Defender with bluetooth into the radio/stereo.  Note that the noise levels in the Defender don't make for good results!

Valid points. I still have my old One XL which served me superbly well before I had a couple of vehicles with on board items but my step-son has his eye on it. It was this history on which I based my decision to go again.