Saplings

steve_b_wales

21 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

mmmm???  The first just might be sweet chesnut the second pretty certain hazel. 

I'm wondering myself about the first one being a sweet chestnut. I remember planting some a few two years ago, but as far as I was aware, not one of them grew.

UPDATE: It's just been confirmed that the saplings are Sweet Chestnut and Hazel.

Edited by steve_b_wales

Is there a prize??:no:  I have two horse chestunuts from a red flowered variety growing at this moment and hoping they will be the same.  I have a couple of sweet chestnut trees but never seem to have any nuts of a reasonable size, all as big as an anorexic pea.  Not that I need any more trees to plant as the wood is overflowing.

I think the first is Hornbeam... although the shape of the leaves and the spiny serrations do suggest sweet chestnut

Download "Picture This" or something similar from your app store, you can use them in a limited capacity without paying ;)

Edited by Jim Neal

19 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

I think the first is Hornbeam... although the shape of the leaves and the spiny serrations do suggest sweet chestnut

Download "Picture This" or something similar from your app store, you can use them in a limited capacity without paying

I've never planted Hornbeam, Jim, but I did plant a few sweet Chestnut. :good: