uk law ......cut and thread for....22lr

It’s pretty straightforward. We got ours done some years ago; none were reproofed.
As you correctly say however, your rifle, by law, would require reproofing prior to selling it, but if you ‘give’ or ‘gift’ it then no proof is required. It is only an offence to ‘sell’ an unproved or out of proof gun. 

15 hours ago, robbiep said:

As you say, technically the gun needs to be re-proofed if you want to sell it in the future.

Not sure I've ever known anyone to ask (and I've certainly never asked) if that has been done

Surely that's assuming a barrel needs re-proofing after a threading in the first place.

5 hours ago, 1066 said:

Surely that's assuming a barrel needs re-proofing after a threading in the first place.

I believe that the law states that any modification to the barrel means it is no longer legally in-proof - as such, you would be selling a firearm out-of-proof.

But, as I also said, I've never asked if a gun was re-proofed, or been asked about it on a gun I was selling.

Hiya

Jackson Rifles obtained Counsels (Barristers) opinion on the need to reproof or not moderators and barrels - seems clear (to me) that a barrel that is threaded is not 'unduly reduced in Substance or Strength' so no need to send to proof house. Others reading of the opinion may differ.

Link:http://jacksonrifles.com/zz-silencers/ukproof.htm

L

You do notice now though that when proofing a rifle barrel the proof houses also stamp muzzle as well as the throat area. The only reason for this as far as I can see is to enforce the reproof requirement for shortening/ rethreading.

I recently got a .270 that came in new from the States as a special order that went for proof on entering the UK and this is the first rifle I have had with a proof mark at the muzzle. 

Edited by Zetter

4 hours ago, Zetter said:

You do notice now though that when proofing a rifle barrel the proof houses also stamp muzzle as well as the throat area. The only reason for this as far as I can see is to enforce the reproof requirement for shortening/ rethreading.

I recently got a .270 that came in new from the States as a special order that went for proof on entering the UK and this is the first rifle I have had with a proof mark at the muzzle. 

That’s interesting; my T3 came already screw threaded, complete with protector, and my CZ was chopped and screw cut by the smith a RFD used for such work, we simply by-passed the RFD. It wasn’t reproofed. 
I’m assuming it’s an offence to remove a proof mark? There again, who’s going to know? 

20 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

http://jacksonrifles.com/zz-silencers/files/R-v-Beatham_evidence.pdf

A surprisingly riveting read! If I ever find myself fighting an out of proof charge I want this man as my expert witness. 

Joe Beatham of The Gunshop, Cat Hill fame was counterboring varmint/match Ruger 10/22 barrels and fitting moderator baffles and the Met took great exception to it.... and to him as he took a bit of ‘getting to know’ in his manner and foibles and, of course, whether he actually liked you. 

Cheers,

Fizz

3 hours ago, fizzbangwhallop said:

Joe Beatham of The Gunshop, Cat Hill fame was counterboring varmint/match Ruger 10/22 barrels and fitting moderator baffles and the Met took great exception to it.... and to him as he took a bit of ‘getting to know’ in his manner and foibles and, of course, whether he actually liked you. 

Cheers,

Fizz

Yes, seems like a neat idea too. The defence’s expert witness report is pretty damning of the proof houses and archaic legislation.