Small Bore Garden Gun Ammunition Performance - .410 9mm & .22 Shellshot

12 minutes ago, Downforce said:

Well that doesnt seem right - they do fall into the category of having 5 or more shot none of which exceeding .036"

thats what it says on the advert................i was surprised to see the company is just down the road from me in Aylsham (norfolk)....

15 minutes ago, ditchman said:

thats what it says on the advert................i was surprised to see the company is just down the road from me in Aylsham (norfolk)....

Dont spose it matters though if they are out of stock - which is what I've found noboboy has any near me

I have never even seen a .22 shotgun so interested to see it with my own eyes

That said I wont dispute their capability based on no history or experience and I get that airguns are overlooked by some too

Edited by Downforce

21 minutes ago, Downforce said:

Dont spose it matters though if they are out of stock - which is what I've found noboboy has any near me

That said I wont dispute their capability based on no history or experience and I get that airguns are overlooked by some too

just spoken to chris at eastern gun company brundall.............he has an order of them coming in next week..........as he has a customer who regularly uses them

and you dont need FAC to buy them

give them a call speak to chris or jordan next week..........the shop is back to normal opening hours

simon:good:

2 hours ago, Downforce said:

I would be happy to lend you mine if you still wish to experiment. I used mine for dispatching vermin caught in cage traps round the chicken shed. It is a Winchester I believe & I have some ammo, but am unsure what quantity is left.

Dan.

21 minutes ago, Mullard83 said:

I would be happy to lend you mine if you still wish to experiment. I used mine for dispatching vermin caught in cage traps round the chicken shed. It is a Winchester I believe & I have some ammo, but am unsure what quantity is left.

Dan.

Thanks Dan thats very kind I'll PM you

All very interesting stuff.  

My experience - .410 is usually better than people give it credit - when a competent person is behind the trigger.

9mm RF - Expensive but sometimes a better choice than a .410 2" - hampered by poor choice of shot size availability.  I have a 20" barrel s1 shotgun / 'pistol' and it's really quite good out to about 6 or 7 metres where the pattern starts to fail.

.22 rf shotgun - Expensive! These days, mostly shot in rifled barrels which doesn't help the pattern!  In a smooth bore gun it's a little better but personally, I'd think in terms of sub 3 or 4 metres.

Now, if you live in Italy there is always the 8mm cf.  A reload only proposition with metal cases using pistol primers or plastic cases with shotgun primers.  Relly, really cheap and  very flexible loadings.  Oddly enough, you could order the relevant components for reloading the ammo but getting someone to import a shotgun would be problematic and pretty expensive.

As someone has already said, in many cases a good air rifle would be a better option.  But life would be really quite boring if we all did the same thing ...

Andy

I'd be interested in the 9mm ballistics. Ideally is it a 5 yard gun or 15? 

I'm sure the 410 is good to 30 with the right load and shot behind the trigger, sadly that won't be me but I could shoot some pests within the garden if the 9mm was up to it and not have to wait wait them to pose for the sight picture. 

16 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I'm sure the 410 is good to 30 with the right load and shot behind the trigger, sadly that won't be me but I could shoot some pests within the garden if the 9mm was up to it and not have to wait wait them to pose for the sight picture. 

at least 9mm are a darn site cheaper that .22 shot shell .................9mm £12.50 for 50...six shot size

12 hours ago, GingerCat said:

At about 15m (by big steps not laser measured) the 9mm #6 will rip through one side of a plastic milk carton full of water and the shot will "bend" the inside back wall of the carton but it wont penetrate, whereas the 410 #6 much of the shot will go in and out at the same distance. Water is very good at dissapating energy so although not fully scientific I would expect to shoot smaller quarry at 15m with a 9mm but as stated by someoine else they swapped the shot for bigger shot which was effective on rats and the like at greater distances.

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

at least 9mm are a darn site cheaper that .22 shot shell .................9mm £12.50 for 50...six shot size

Where ? Do they have stock ?

But still difficult to get, most people dont carry stock - I had to pay £15 delivery on £20 box of 50 so if you are buying larger quantities you can spread the delivery (or better still you can buy it locally thats brilliant)

D

12 minutes ago, Downforce said:

At about 15m (by big steps not laser measured) the 9mm #6 will rip through one side of a plastic milk carton full of water and the shot will "bend" the inside back wall of the carton but it wont penetrate, whereas the 410 #6 much of the shot will go in and out at the same distance. Water is very good at dissapating energy so although not fully scientific I would expect to shoot smaller quarry at 15m with a 9mm but as stated by someoine else they swapped the shot for bigger shot which was effective on rats and the like at greater distances.

Where ? Do they have stock ?

But still difficult to get, most people dont carry stock - I had to pay £15 delivery on £20 box of 50 so if you are buying larger quantities you can spread the delivery (or better still you can buy it locally thats brilliant)

D

Arron Wheeler...Brighouse

they dont deliver anymore......ring eastern gun company in Brundall and ask for Chris or Jordan.....

The issue with, as I wrote, with 9mm R/F is that it really needs smaller shot than either Engish #6 or even #7 1/2. Ideally for rats and squirrels #8 or even #9 would be good. With almost any cartridge it is pattern that fails before penetration and these small rimfires demand (at least on rats and squirrels) small shot for best effect. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Downforce said:

Does anyone have a chromometer that works well with shot I could borrow for about 4-6 weeks please while I do the texsting (Ideally Bucks/Beds/Northants/Herts/Cambs)

D

You mean a chronograph, a chronometer is a watch.

1 minute ago, London Best said:

You mean a chronograph, a chronometer is a watch.

I think I do mean a chronograph then, but wouldnt say no to a loan of a fancy watch either 🙂

5 minutes ago, Downforce said:

chromometer

I think I even got that wrong - must be russian