Nesting Robins

WalkedUp

My boys put up a nest box for robins (a) and one for tits. A pair of blue tits have moved into the tit one and made it their home. The robins conversely have decided to nest in a half empty bag of compost (b) directly under their nest box. I now realise the box is too high at 2.2m. Note the festoon lights are disabled during nesting season. I will lower the nest box but other than that any bright ideas of how we can help them with their brood? 

A5BFBDB9-442E-4B03-998B-E5E7315EDAAC.jpeg

The tit nest with human hair clippings (lockdown barber) and fox tail. 

D17DB005-4B1A-4054-AA86-F5555B9CA06F.jpeg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

My boys put up a nest box for robins (a) and one for tits. A pair of blue tits have moved into the tit one and made it their home. The robins conversely have decided to nest in a half empty bag of compost (b) directly under their nest box. I now realise the box is too high at 2.2m. Note the festoon lights are disabled during nesting season. I will lower the nest box but other than that any bright ideas of how we can help them with their brood? 

A5BFBDB9-442E-4B03-998B-E5E7315EDAAC.jpeg

The tit nest with human hair clippings (lockdown barber) and fox tail. 

D17DB005-4B1A-4054-AA86-F5555B9CA06F.jpeg

That is a very precarious position for the Robins, they do use some ' unusual ' sites for nesting, If the nest is completed, and egg laying has begun i would suggest trying to erect some kind of barrier ( such as garden netting/chicken wire )with 50mm gauge.........but that is a hard area to cover by the look of it.

The robins box is to exposed, put it lower down in the ivy if possible, which way is the wall facing that the robin and tit box are on?

As been said, Robins do build their nest in some odd places, had them build nests in a large flower pot that had fallen over, also had them in my shed when I forgot to shut the door properly, it was only open about two inches and they started to build a nest on the shelf behind the paint pots, mind you garden sheds seem to be one of their favourite nesting places.

The robins nest on the ground looks a bit vulnerable to cats and magpies, plus when we get some rain it may cause the poly bag to close on the nest.

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

The tit nest with human hair clippings (lockdown barber)

we clip our dogs before nesting season and put the fur out for the birds - they absolutely love it. Our nesting box has a blue tits in and they have been back and to for the fur like anything.

I will show the picture of your robins to my wife - she got a robin nesting thing and was oooh where are we going to put it - well from the looks of yours on the side of the shed next to a laurel bush will be good (facing the correct way). I have already said this but being a male it was a case of "your wrong". Too late now - but will be good for next year

11 hours ago, JDog said:

Harsh I know but if the Robins haven’t started laying yet I would move the compost bag. Their nest will have no chance in the wet nor with a marauding cat/hedgehog/crow/magpie.

This was my thought, though not sure of legality of interfering with the nest? 

You lucky to have spotted them in the bag, ive got a Robin nesting somewhere but for the life of me cant find out where. Its feeding young now making short work of mealworms from the feeder, but loose sight of it in a bush, but its not nesting in it. 

It is an offence under Section 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside act of 1981 to intentionally take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird while it is in use or being built, or to intentionally kill, injure or take chicks or adults, or intentionally take or destroy any eggs.

2 minutes ago, twenty said:

It is an offence under Section 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside act of 1981 to intentionally take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird while it is in use or being built, or to intentionally kill, injure or take chicks or adults, or intentionally take or destroy any eggs.

Thank you @twenty looks like the cage it is. 

18 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Thank you @twenty looks like the cage it is. 

The hen bird will lay one egg on a daily basis,( Usual clutch 4/5 ), these  will be laid usually early in the morning, the hen will not incubate until the clutch is complete, and will probably not return to the nest between laying times, this will give you ample opportunity to construction a netting cage if you intend to, without disturbing the birds (probably best PM)......The blue tits in the nest box will also be absent in the pm, until their clutch is complete.  

Good luck,

All the  best.

Edited by twenty

Plan of action I’m thinking to:

1. Plonk the play house over the compost bag to protect from rain.

2. Stock wire hoop around the playhouse to protect from children and dogs 

3. Close up the windows 1 by 1 until a single one left

4. Reduce window opening gradually until a circa high up 6”x6” to prevent rats / cats 

5. Load a full mag into the S410, book two weeks off work and pull up an old rocking chair on the stoop 🤣

F56C62CE-7C0C-4ED1-AA2F-D3100C06B0E2.jpeg

19 hours ago, GingerCat said:

The sparrows and tits that nest in my garden loved the breast feathers of yesterday's pigeons. I tried to throw the majority in a a big bad but every now and then let a handful go over the garden. Most were collected within minutes. 

It's great watching them isn't it, I put out all sorts, feathers, cotton wool, dog combings and the old nests from last years nest boxes as well..........it's all gone with minutes at this time of the year

My bird nesting supply larder in the dog’s yard. 

66399981-E208-4502-AB6C-5D2AF26D7E42.jpeg

Quick update, we don’t get any cats in the garden but a new black one came today and just took a bird from the hedge. I sent out the dogs to hunt up and disperse the cats. I can trust that they will not take the cats but the dogs’ patrols may need to be stepped up to keep the marauders away. 

Mixed news... the compost bag nest has been abandoned and the robins hadn’t been seen all week. However today they’ve been spotted again, the hen is incubating a clutch in the nest box. Very happy. The old fortifications we built around the previous nest screen the new nest very well. 

Think it is time to give them some peace and quiet. 

I went to move a cement mixer yesterday and a wagtail flew out from under the cover.Thinking it a bit strange I opened it,there is a nest with 6 eggs sitting on top of the engine... No mixing for this machine for a while.

Have tried to attach a photo but it says it is too big and I am not technically minded enough to be able to shrink it.