WalkedUp

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 16/05/2021 at 21:46, gmm243 said:

Have just got back from a few days fishing,my wife tells me the wagtail have hatched which is great but I will leave them alone for the time being and hope they fledge successfully. 

Fishing was ok (ish),lots of mayfly but cold, bright sunshine and then heavy rain and thunder.Wind cha fed direction more times than I could count but still have a few fish for the freezer and one for dinner tomorrow evening. Heard a cuckoo each morning and through the day then got a fleeting glimpse of one in the distance but yesterday morning when heading out I saw one fly into a bush and let us get within 20m of him/her while in the boat.It stayed there until we drove off.

Anything on the bee’s?

So there are still some bees in the hive but not loads. Have transfers a frame with  3 queen cells on it from one of Dads hives to see will that produce a queen.There are enough bees in it to make a viable hive but if is survived it would be a miracle and definitely not be a hive to try and produce honey off just to keep building it up.I have also thought of buying a queen to replace the dead one if my experiment does not work but again it is a real long shot.

I sent the bee sample away,they checked for known diseases and starvation, all of which came back negative.They agreed that it had to be a poisoning incident but they are not able to check what chemical did the damage.

Went to see the farmer responsible a few nights ago just to give him my number and if he was spaying again just to let me know and I could lock them away but he was not there so will have to try again this weekend.

9 hours ago, gmm243 said:

Went to see the farmer responsible a few nights ago just to give him my number and if he was spaying again just to let me know and I could lock them away but he was not there so will have to try again this weekend.

Well hopefully he's ok with you and keeps you informed in future. 

4 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Glad you have a few bees left, hopefully your conversation with the farmer will go well. 

Starting to stack up these marauders. Jay and Jackdaw were too quick today for me to get onto. 

787B14C9-8A72-4CA4-BCC1-62B3F86C1C02.jpeg

Good work, keep it up.

My burn is healing up nicely and will soon be back to full use as soon as I can get a boot on it. Can still drive and haven’t missed any work which is great but more importantly it hasn’t disrupted my robin vigil 🤣

The black menace was in ambush last night as I was getting into bed. The robins maintain a non-stop shuttle between the veg patch looking for worms and then the nest, even at dusk, so my wife instructed me to set the hounds. I just sent the bitch out but denuded for slumber I hadn’t my stop whistle around my neck to call the race off. Turned into quite the marathon. Cannot see it wanting to return too soon. 

52027D95-83E7-4C3E-AD6E-B8B598A8A147.jpeg

Edited by WalkedUp

58 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

My burn is healing up nicely and will soon be back to full use as soon as I can get a boot on it. Can still drive and haven’t missed any work which is great but more importantly it hasn’t disrupted my robin vigil 🤣

The black menace was in ambush last night as I was getting into bed. The robins maintain a non-stop shuttle between the veg patch looking for worms and then the nest, even at dusk, so my wife instructed me to set the hounds. I just sent the bitch out but denuded for slumber I hadn’t my stop whistle around my neck to call the race off. Turned into quite the marathon. Cannot see it wanting to return too soon. 

52027D95-83E7-4C3E-AD6E-B8B598A8A147.jpeg

That looks unpleasant,  I've just used the picture to explain to the kids why we say be careful around the kettle and hot drinks. 

And good dog 😉

9 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Today is F Day! 

374D6DE4-93A8-4F6C-AD75-8DED2460F7A7.jpeg

18C7BC8B-3104-4052-9844-67395E1768AC.jpeg

9D2F5CDE-2D48-4E5A-9869-BC87C2D82375.jpeg

The robin will usually be double brooded, so it may use the nestbox again, but will build a new nest, so you might want to clear the old nest out ( it will be flat, and probably contain lice, so wear gloves). The Male Robin will care for the last fledglings for about 3 weeks, allowing the female to re-nest, lay and start incubating.

On 02/06/2021 at 20:48, Dougy said:

5 star room for that family, windproof, waterproof, larder on the doorstep water just a few yards away.

Great to see such a variety of birds in our garden, one that ive not seen around for a while is the Thrush. 

Yeah, Song thrush have declined by 50% over the last 25years, putting them on the red list as a threatened population, Mistle thrush are also red listed.

On 02/06/2021 at 20:48, Dougy said:

Great to see such a variety of birds in our garden, one that ive not seen around for a while is the Thrush. 

We get them in the garden still, but never see any chicks, the blackbirds always have chicks in tow waiting to be fed.

I've also seen a few thrushes about in the wood I shoot, less squirrels has obviously had a positive impact. 

My wife and I took great delight in watching  a robin building a nest in a thick bush just outside our lounge window. We were amazed at the size of materials it carried and the care it took not to be spotted going in and out of the bush.

One morning I returned from walking the dog to see the nest ripped out and strewn on the floor.

I must admit to being quite upset and presume the culprit was a squirrel!