Chauvin verdict

Rewulf

35 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

That might be due to most others having the intelligence to know they'd be found out and don't try to bring a trump card into play..

I don't think even being found out bothers them too much - because even when they are found out - little or nothing is done.  Example - that MP who - having tested positive for Covid then took the train back home.  No action taken.

Certainly the US ones calling 'guilty' before the jury had finished deliberating didn't worry about 'found out' as they made the statements in the press/media ........ although with the President doing much the same - nothing was ever going to happen.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

That might be due to most others having the intelligence to know they'd be found out and don't try to bring a trump card into play..

Most of the others cases I can think of don't meet the threshold for actual criminal behaviour.   Onasanya, on the other hand, comfortably met that, whilst not only being a serving MP, but a lawyer to boot.   Throw the book at her, followed by the bookshelves, the other books, and frankly most of the library.

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Example - that MP who - having tested positive for Covid then took the train back home.  No action taken.

My reading of the law is that she didn't actually commit a criminal offence, happy to be shown otherwise.

Party whip was (eventually) withdrawn, though?

36 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I have asked him but he's ignored me. 

He has a habit of coming in, presenting the latest Guardian editorial as his considered view, then when challenged, resorts to either straw man arguments or sulks off.

4 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

My reading of the law is that she didn't actually commit a criminal offence, happy to be shown otherwise.

She was charged and taken to court https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55924053

so I assume an offence was alleged to have happened - but bailed pending further 'examination' after making no plea.  I didn't fine anything reported since - so maybe it is still being 'examined'?

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

I didn't fine anything reported since - so maybe it is still being 'examined'?

As I understand it, the legislation is so poorly drafted, coupled with the fact she was crossing the border between 2 different legal systems whilst allegedly commiting the offence, is why I don't believe her actions meet the threshold for criminal behaviour.

Personal opinion: I suspect she was arrested+charged following a media outcry by the police, and by the time somebody with a decent legal brain in the CPS got to take a look at the case it was too late.  Will be quietly NFA'd...

1 hour ago, johnphilip said:

Not sure if anyone has seen this , but another account  that shows what happens , don't think this will ever been shown  re all this cases , an independent  report on what happens 

https://player.vimeo.com/video/458341529

Heavily edited, particularly in the car as Floyd went in pavement side head first and feet first road side. I wonder how the training is with instructions to people; "put your hands on the wheel... put your hands on your head... put your foot in the car...put your foot out the car...sit down...stand up..." I would also take issue on the officer in the ambulance saying that he was fighting, if he was resisting arrest like you see on the UK police programs on TV that I could understand, but there was very little resistance until they went to put him in the squad car, and all through it they knew he was high.

I imagine many people have wondered who the minister was talking about at a funeral. I sure was at my mother's!

Leaving aside the issues on the thread - this did make me smile. At the funeral service for my late uncle Harry, the vicar had spoken about him for about five minutes and it emerged he wasn't talking about Harry at all. I politely pointed out that he had the wrong person and he took it all in his stride. "The same things apply" he said and proceeded as if nothing had happened.

9 minutes ago, henry d said:

Heavily edited, particularly in the car as Floyd went in pavement side head first and feet first road side. I wonder how the training is with instructions to people; "put your hands on the wheel... put your hands on your head... put your foot in the car...put your foot out the car...sit down...stand up..." I would also take issue on the officer in the ambulance saying that he was fighting, if he was resisting arrest like you see on the UK police programs on TV that I could understand, but there was very little resistance until they went to put him in the squad car, and all through it they knew he was high.

Belive what you like , or what you wish to belive,  he was none compliant  he was fine while he was sat in his own car full of drugs  , drugs that lead to his death . How would it of been if he had drove off and killed  people because of his drug filled body , I feel no sympathy  for the man what so every . That was a true account of what happened  and why was evidence  held back for months . Before the trial.

32 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

...he was fine while he was sat in his own car full of drugs  , drugs that lead to his death .

You realise what you wrote there? Driving off has nothing to do with the case it's more whataboutery, Chauvin et al killed him.

I feel no sympathy  for the man what so every . That was a true account of what happened  and why was evidence  held back for months . 

I have little sympathy for him either, that's not what its about. Its about police being responsible and accountable for their actions, just like me and you would be. 

Edited by ordnance

13 minutes ago, ordnance said:

I have little sympathy for him either, that's not what its about. Its about police being responsible and accountable for their actions, just like me and you would be. 

If the officers were doing as they were trained to do in that situation , and as Floyd  tried to move on the ground , the officer released pressure on his Head/ neck . There was never going to be any other result as even more rioting would be seen now . I was just showing another account  as an expert saw it and provided evidence  not seen before , and will never be shown to the public due to what would have happened. 

3 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

If the officers were doing as they were trained to do in that situation , and as Floyd  tried to move on the ground , the officer released pressure on his Head/ neck . There was never going to be any other result as even more rioting would be seen now . I was just showing another account  as an expert saw it and provided evidence  not seen before , and will never be shown to the public due to what would have happened. 

That's not what they were trained to do, as their police chief testified. 

2 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Well the video shows different  

You asked ( If the officers were doing as they were trained to do in that situation) that's not what they are trained to do.  Do you think the training is, restrain in handcuffs, once restrained and complaint, put their knee on their neck, keep it there even after they have stopped breathing, and give no medical assistance :hmm:

• 2 years later...

"A new documentary, The Fall Of Minneapolis, has re-examined the case and reached some startling conclusions. The myth of an innocent Floyd callously murdered by a racist cop is not only questioned — but shaken to its core."

It seems that this new documentary finds exactly the story as explained by @mel b3 above.  More can be read here;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12895515/Documentary-dares-question-George-Floyd-killing.html