Case Cleaning

Hi All,

Just starting to think about reloading my win .243, I have a good buddy who is going to teach me and let me use his kit to start with. Pulling together a shopping list and wondered what everyone was using to clean their used brass. Is a dry media tumbler, wet tumbler or ultrasonic the way forward?

Thanks in advance Damean

How many are you going to be cleaning at a time, how often, what sort of finish are you after? 

I have recently acquired a dry tumbler which I'm looking forward to having the need to use. Previously l used a bowl, some hot water, washing up liquid, white wine vinegar and salt. Got them clean if not like new. I also have a small ultrasonic cleaner but usually do 100 and it was a faff doing a few at a time. 

You'll find the recipe for the DIY mix on you tube. 

I used a dry tumbler for years until my son got a rock tumbler, when he wasn't using it I tried it with some stainless pins, a squeeze of fairy and some citric acid. The difference was unbelievable. The brass was gleaming inside and out. I will never go back to dry tumbling. Screenshot_20210424-151759_Instagram.jpg.919699b1b05d628b5eced2fac153d21c.jpg

8 hours ago, Vince Green said:

There is no need to clean cases,  its nice to do i know, and I do. but if you are just starting out and testing loads its an expense that can be bypassed.

Unfortunately if you don't clean your brass, any crud left on them can scratch the inside of your chamber. Even a quick wipe around with some 0000 steel wool and a rag will wipe off damaging burnt powder and help to protect your rifle.