Oak Bough

powler

Hi,

I had some oak boughs to cut up on one of the farms, they were quite bendy so no use for gate posts etc, but with the section below I thought it would make a seat in the garden and the branch coming off it could be sawn flat to make a drinks holder and the seat sanded and treated with some clear Danish oil. Stump sat on some baton to hold of the rot.

Just wondering if you guys have any thoughts on this idea?

Mick

EEMQ4749.JPG

Funnily enough,  I bought a chainsaw mill , and a saw with a 24" bar , but I've never gotten around to using it . If I need planks,  I just rip them down with my stilh ms170(baby saw) , it's pretty easy as long as you don't need lots of large planks. I just bring the cut boards home from the woodland, I give them a quick once over with the electric plain to remove any really deep chain marks , then give them a rub over with the 4" angle grinder and sanding disk , then a quick sanding with the orbital sander . It leaves the boards looking nice and natural (smooth but not dead flat). I've got another large bough , that's earmarked to make four large benches ( to make a full circle) as presents.

40 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You have a PM.

How dare you insult my classic style of photography 😊.  It took me an hour to figure out how to video it last year , and Lin had to post the video for me 😅.

I'll pm back later dave 👍.

Made a start yesterday, cut the branch for the drinks holder/rest, took a bit more off than intended as saw ran out out petrol quarter of the way through so lost my line when restarted. Been sanding down the top to show the growth rings more and not my chainsaw marks.

Will do more later if the rain holds off.