Extinction Rebellion Aquitted

JohnfromUK

Six Extinction Rebellion activists have been acquitted by a jury - contrary to a judges direction.  They were charged with criminal damage after vandalising an office building owned by Shell.  Despite the Judge directing the jury that they had 'no defence in law', the jury found them not guilty.  The Judge specifically said that even if their actions were "morally justified", that did not provide a lawful excuse.

So - are they to be given free license to cause criminal damage now?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56853979

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a judge directs a jury and they contradict a judges decision is it not a case that the the jury will be dismissed and the trial heard again? When I done jury service we were specifically told by the judge that judges and lawyers(barristers) deal with matters of law, we are there to determine guilt, if there is no defence in law then a jury cannot determine that they are not guilty, if the jury doesn't agree with the law/judges decision then they could and should be held in contempt of court 

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

If a judge directs a jury and they contradict a judges decision is it not a case that the the jury will be dismissed and the trial heard again? When I done jury service we were specifically told by the judge that judges and lawyers(barristers) deal with matters of law, we are there to determine guilt, if there is no defence in law then a jury cannot determine that they are not guilty, if the jury doesn't agree with the law/judges decision then they could and should be held in contempt of court 

but you forget - this is an active protest group supported by a majority of left wing leaning people.

On 23/04/2021 at 21:48, Rob85 said:

I forget the term no but there is technically a 3rd outcome from a jury, other than guilty, or not guilty, it effectively means we find them guilty but don't believe they deserve to be punished. 

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Are you thinking of the 'not proven' verdict?  I believe (in the UK anyway) it only applies in Scotland.

Cheers for the suggestion I was aware of that in Scots law, I've had a quick look and I believe its called jury equity/perverse jury. It's basically when a jury believes the person is guilty or is directed by a judge but equities the accused anyway as they do not believe they should be punished. It sounds like it could be relevant in this case although I haven't looked at it. 

4 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I believe its called jury equity/perverse jury.

I've not heard of it before.  It does sound appropriate for the jury's views in this case.  I wonder if the jury were aware of that option - or indeed if it was a viable option in this case?

11 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I've not heard of it before.  It does sound appropriate for the jury's views in this case.  I wonder if the jury were aware of that option - or indeed if it was a viable option in this case?

It's not something that I know much about, just heard of it in the past and when you posted this it reminded me as it does seem appropriate, I'll be interested if anymore information comes out of the case. 

It seems that there is now a ploy to try to ensure jury trial by ensuring that the level of criminal damage exceeds £5k (below which jury trial isn't used I assume)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9533319/Extinction-Rebellion-deliberately-causing-criminal-damage-protests-jury-trials.html

And they get off on a technicality again

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9547365/Extinction-Rebellion-activists-blocked-printing-plant-acquitted.html

Shows how our laws are both unfit for purpose and misunderstood by the CPS if they cannot bring watertight cases in these very clear instances.

10 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

And they get off on a technicality again

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9547365/Extinction-Rebellion-activists-blocked-printing-plant-acquitted.html

Shows how our laws are both unfit for purpose and misunderstood by the CPS if they cannot bring watertight cases in these very clear instances.

What a joke our laws and society have become 

• 2 weeks later...