Jump to content

Best aftermarket Chokes?


Recommended Posts

It's Hobson's choice really, they all preform much the same, you need to pattern them to see what works for you and your cartridge, years ago manufacturers chokes were poor so the likes of teague and briley made better quality ones but now most manufacturers produce good quality chokes I personally use extended chokes just to protect the end of the barrel 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i wasn't happy with the mod choke that came with browning maxus wickedwings , so spoke to bret at brieley chokes and we selected teague's invector plus in 1/2 and 3/4 , patterned them at 35 yds both looked good plenty in the middle, tried them out on the pigeon and crows , they were happy with them too , at £48 a choke , not cheap but well worth it to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

It does make you wonder, what the likes of Briley and Teague are doing, that the manufacturers like Browning and Beretta are not?! 

Simple, mass produced rubbish, Beretta upped their game with the Optima chokes onwards and they are great.

 

browning offered Brileys as an option once but their own stuff is carp!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

It does make you wonder, what the likes of Briley and Teague are doing, that the manufacturers like Browning and Beretta are not?! 

Tightchoke could well be right with his comment regards mass production, whereas specialist companies get down to the nitty gritty. 
I have come to the conclusion that IM is the best all round constriction for me personally. I have a Briley extended ported IM (3/8ths) in my Benelli M1 Super 90, and Teague slim walls in 3/8th and 5/8th in my Gamba. Whether on game or clays they really are the biz. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Simple, mass produced rubbish, Beretta upped their game with the Optima chokes onwards and they are great.

 

browning offered Brileys as an option once but their own stuff is carp!

 

 

 

Shame, they're happy to push out new model guns for £2-3,000 but can't do a decent set of chokes :/ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lloyd90 said:

 

Shame, they're happy to push out new model guns for £2-3,000 but can't do a decent set of chokes :/ 

You are beginning to understand!:good:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2021 at 21:29, Smokersmith said:

The CG maxis factory chokes are brilliant. No need to upgrade those.

There is a very strong rumour (which has never been denied even though I asked directly) that Nigel Teague assisted CG in designing and producing the Maxis chokes. It is a reality that very few CG owners opt to buy after market chokes unless they want lighter ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the above comment is spot on.

I'm a great fan of aftermarket chokes, I've bought Rhino's, Mandel & Teague over the years, but I now use the standard extended Maxis chokes in my CG Invictus and I wouldn't contemplate a change, I'm convinced that they throw superb patterns.

Cat.😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2021 at 20:11, Scully said:

Tightchoke could well be right with his comment regards mass production, whereas specialist companies get down to the nitty gritty. 
I have come to the conclusion that IM is the best all round constriction for me personally. I have a Briley extended ported IM (3/8ths) in my Benelli M1 Super 90, and Teague slim walls in 3/8th and 5/8th in my Gamba. Whether on game or clays they really are the biz. 

Please forgive me if I am wrong here, but IM is Improved Modified ??  So equivalent to 3/4 choke English ??? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stockybasher said:

Please forgive me if I am wrong here, but IM is Improved Modified ??  So equivalent to 3/4 choke English  

You’re quite correct, my apologies. It should read LM, and not IM. I really should read back through what I’ve written. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

In order of preference for my shooting. 

 

My Beretta with its 3/4 and full fixed chokes for clays. I would normally carry 100 X 7.5s and 25 X 9s for a 100 bird reg ESP.

But I carry a second set of barrels that have Briley Series One long chokes to allow me to shoot Cylinder at driven clays.

I have a second (Spare) Beretta that is Teagued and again I tend to use the tighter chokes.

 

For the pigeons I have an old Winchester Pump Gun with the original Full choke in it.

I have an old Hatsan Escort with a 24" barrel that usually has a full choke. I also have a couple of Kicks chokes for it.

I have experimented with various guns and chokes and invariably return to the tighter constrictions and usually feed 28g 6s through them for the WPs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2021 at 08:30, Scully said:

I use Teague and Briley. Excellent chokes in my experience. 

i use briley, the chokes are outstanding visually and perform very well. (i not really tested).

i use full and full in my o/u and intending to get some WF chokes for the benelli

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

i use briley, the chokes are outstanding visually and perform very well. (i not really tested).

i use full and full in my o/u and intending to get some WF chokes for the benelli

I do find it so very satisfying when a pigeon flies through a full choke! 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like George Digweed says, anyone who uses tight chokes are severely handicapping themselves for most shooting.

I have a pattern plate and Full choke in any gun generally throws poorer patterns than any other chokes.

I cant understand why anyone would wish to choose to send out a 40cm wide pattern at 20yards at a tricky 65mph max speed clay, when they could opt for a 100cm wide pattern instead.

Most people like to improve their scores which is probably why you see people changing chokes.

Nothing against people who arn't bothered and are just there for a bit of fun and like firing the gun.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

In order of preference for my shooting. 

 

My Beretta with its 3/4 and full fixed chokes for clays. I would normally carry 100 X 7.5s and 25 X 9s for a 100 bird reg ESP.

But I carry a second set of barrels that have Briley Series One long chokes to allow me to shoot Cylinder at driven clays.

I have a second (Spare) Beretta that is Teagued and again I tend to use the tighter chokes.

 

For the pigeons I have an old Winchester Pump Gun with the original Full choke in it.

I have an old Hatsan Escort with a 24" barrel that usually has a full choke. I also have a couple of Kicks chokes for it.

I have experimented with various guns and chokes and invariably return to the tighter constrictions and usually feed 28g 6s through them for the WPs.

I too use original ‘Winchokes’ in my 1500XTR, which is choked Full,  and an ‘Extra Full’ Winchoke in my S&W pump. Had the latter at Crabtree a couple of weeks ago, which was great fun. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...