Manufactured hardwood doors

mgsontour

https://www.howdens.com/joinery/doors/howdens-dordogne-oak-door-obj-sku-family-die6660

Hi all

Just had one of the above manufactured hardwood doors installed. Howdens are trying to sell me a can of Osmo at £40-ish and that seems excessive to me, I have looked on Amazon etc and they are priced between £20 and £35-ish which is fair play but they are all slightly different, however, a can of Ronseal etc is £15-ish

Can someone please explain the difference between Ronseal and Osmo and which one I need to use or maybe something else is better?

Thanks

Personally I’d use the clear Osmo hard wax version. Brush it in and immediately wipe it off to an even patina....meaning no patches of shiny oil. Your door should be full when you’ve done. Then give it another coat the following day, in the same manner. Job done.
It doesn’t flake or peel, and the next time you want to redo, just a quick rub down with a fine emery pad, wipe clean with white spirits and away you go again. 

Sikkens relevant two part applications are good also. 

You void the guarantee using osmo or other varnishs on them as it penetrates the veneer . I know I know that all the sites use it but if you use Mono Coat it’s approved . It’s strange as I’ve never ever had an issue with osmo 

I sell roughly 500 to 1000 a year from my showroom just of this model . 

20 hours ago, Mungler said:

Just out of interest, how much is a door like that these days? Im not going to create a Howden’s account to sign in in order to get the price etc 

£70 now if you can get them due to a complete lack of supply. 
£100 for a Thames /Mexicano which is a totally better door as they have 20mm lippings on the side abs not 6mm plus the panel has oak in the grooves not softwood 👍

Edited by team tractor

1 hour ago, mgsontour said:

Yeah, that was with 23% discount or so the invoice suggested. . . . I knew I was getting stitched but fortunately it doesn't happen tooooooooo often

To be fair to you it’s now a standard price at howdens to the trade but only the last few months . They were £90 and with covid we’ve all had limited  supply’s . 
doors /sheets are going up 15% a week sometimes 

6 hours ago, team tractor said:

To be fair to you it’s now a standard price at howdens to the trade but only the last few months . They were £90 and with covid we’ve all had limited  supply’s . 
doors /sheets are going up 15% a week sometimes 

That makes me feel a tad better but I need 5 more, is there a more sensibly priced door that won't look a million miles away at a fraction of the price? Cheers